• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ping/rattle at all rpm/speed: 2001 XJ

SuzysJ

NAXJA Forum User
Have done searches on this and other boards. Son's 2001 XJ (2WD) has ping at all speeds, at all rpms when anything past light throttle (not at cruise).

First gear WOT from 10 mph: yes

70 mph, go to WOT: yes

Part-throttle hill-climbing: yes

Hard-starting: must wait a few seconds after key energise.

Dieseling: yes, I think this is what he is describing to me.

MPG: only 16.5-17 combined city/highway (low in our experience with other 2001 near-identical model).

No problem with coolant system, temps are on the money; carefully flushed, with new thermostat and factory spec coolant. (ALL fluids, hoses, belts replaced in December after purchase at 67m miles). New factory-spec plugs. I pulled throttle body, cleaned, and replaced IAC and TPS.

Engine decarboned. Is using quality gas (87 or 89 octane, no difference). I have advised him to run 93 (and continue using FUEL POWER FP-60 additive)until we sort out some lines of investigation. He lives in Virginia, undergoing USMC officer training, so has little time to problem chase.

Fresh emissions inspection at purchase.

Not looking for bandaid "fixes". This vehicle will be in service with us until 2012.

Your advice requested. :compwork:

Was looking through old threads tonite. Son now off in Japan and we now own Jeep. (Maybe one year without an XJ since 1986). Mileage as yet to be sorted out, worse now than before. (Have kept maintenance up, and some repairs done along the way; several small vacuum leaks were the proximate cause of the OP question). Guess we've put about 50-60k on it since 12/05.

Will be looking at it tomorrow after code check.

Funny, at the time I thought 2012 was stretching it. Now I hope to not ever get rid of this Jeep. An XJ is like a Model A Ford: jiggle-some-wires-and-it'll-run simplicity.

At that time he took the vehicle to at least one service center. Along the way the worst of the problem -- or the problem itself -- was fixed. I had my hands full otherwise at that time and don't fully recall (except frustration at having performed so much work on it before he drove off in it).

Ping problem is fairly said to be non-existent. We owned a previous 2001 and it, like this one, does see a little part-throttle "rattle" which I consider (unfavorably) to be normal. 89-octane and some FP-60 FUEL POWER or Neutra-131 added per directions keeps the fuel burn clean.

The problem of which I complained has been taken care of in several regards: vacuum leaks fixed, an injector replaced, hood raised at rear hinges (to alleviate heat), and a battery that was failing (yellow OPTIMA) after 5-years. Fuel mileage is back to the expected 18+ in town. No codes any more. Recently replaced master cylinder.

Still needs work (rear springs, ball joints, etc as they are wearing; same with steering gear) as it now has about 130k on it. Recently added a heater core bypass to keep the A/C at near 40F on these blasted days.

I've much appreciated the help I've received here and elsewhere in regards this Patriot Blue Limited XJ: looks good, runs good, is cheap. Thanks!

2001 2WD Limited

OME shock absorbers
OME steering stabilizer
Energy Suspension anti-roll bar bushings
Praise Dyno Brake discs/drums
Braided stainless brake hoses
Jeepers Creepers battery harness
Big Three Wiring Upgrade
Optima Yellow Top
Hella relay-driven headlamps
Kumho 255/65-16

Last edited: