• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden air tank

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone found a compressed air tank that fits inside the right rear quarter panel of an xj? Not the cubby, actually inside the quarter/fender behind the plastic trim panel. I have my 96 2 door apart right now and I can fit something up to about 4.5 inches in diameter in there, but all I have found on the internets is 6 inches diameter or larger.

I REALLY don’t want a PVC bomb in there but it’s not totally off the table if that’s all that’s available. A viair 450c fits in the other side no problem. I’d really like to keep the whole system hidden if possible.

thanks!

You may also want to check paintball suppliers. A 12 ounce paintball co2 bottle would likely fit inside the fender in front of the cubby. But I don't know if you need more capacity than that.

Something else to look into would be an old fire extinguisher. And by "look into" I mean research their pressure holding ratings. And what it would take to adapt the threads.

I saw something on the topic once and it went into my list of things look into in greater detail at some point. That point hasn't arrived yet, but I would be interested in what you find out.

I have toyed with this same concept, especially the part about putting the air compressor inside the quarter panel. I ran the wiring for it when I ran my coax for my ham antenna. I still have some reservations about mounting an electric motor right next to the fill/vent lines for the fuel tank though. I have yet to convince myself there is nothing to worry about on that front. If I overfill my tank I can smell the fuel vapors in the cabin for a good while afterwards. This would be from leakage from the cap, into the well inside the fuel door and from there into that interior cavity. It gives me something to fret about and keeps this project from front burner status.

Something else to look into would be an old fire extinguisher. And by "look into" I mean research their pressure holding ratings. And what it would take to adapt the threads.

I saw something on the topic once and it went into my list of things look into in greater detail at some point. That point hasn't arrived yet, but I would be interested in what you find out.

I have toyed with this same concept, especially the part about putting the air compressor inside the quarter panel. I ran the wiring for it when I ran my coax for my ham antenna. I still have some reservations about mounting an electric motor right next to the fill/vent lines for the fuel tank though. I have yet to convince myself there is nothing to worry about on that front. If I overfill my tank I can smell the fuel vapors in the cabin for a good while afterwards. This would be from leakage from the cap, into the well inside the fuel door and from there into that interior cavity. It gives me something to fret about and keeps this project from front burner status.

I get what your saying about the motor being near the fill pipe, but mine is a 2 door. The compressor will be located almost directly above the centerline of the inner fender. I was shocked how much room is in there. So I feel confident that there’s ample air space between the compressor and danger. I’m still fooling around with where things will live though. It’s likley I’ll stash a decent sized inverter in there somewhere too down the road. Probably a cooling fan as well.

Here’s a pic of it stuffed in there. It could go significantly further forward.

26W864B

The pic isn’t showing up when I preview this post. So here’s a link to the fickr page too. https://flic.kr/p/26W864B

On the opposite side I could fit nearly a 5 foot length of 4” pipe above the fender well. It would net me nearly 4.5 gallons of air tank. But like you worry about the fuel vapors, I worry about 4.5 gallons of 120psi compressed air letting go from a failed pvc pipe.

wouldn't schedule 80 withstand more pressure?

personally, I'll be using a 5lb bottle or the skinny one linked above. shit breaks when I touch it, no way I'm gonna shove 100 lbs of air in a plastic pipe.

My rear bumper is an air tank. I've got an air chuck just forward of the bumper on both ends. The whole thing is plumbed into my AC/OBA & I often run air tools off the rig.

Last edited:
Back