• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O Ring size and material for power steering hoses

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...

On my 1990 Cherokee I have the oring type power steering hose send for connecting to the pump and gear box. My orings are shot, hard, brittle, distorted.

What size are the ORings and what material is specified for the ORing,

Is a high temp material or anything special needed? Buna, Nitrile, dont matter or???

what do you all use?

My local general parts store has unmarked for material misc. sizes ORings, but the exact needed size cannot be determined from the hard brittle remains of mine.

Even the local jeep dealer could not come up with a part number for these.

Help!

Thank You

I just got done crawling out from under my 97 Suburban putting in a new PS hose. Paid $20 for hose just to get the green o-rings. (Don't have time to hunt down o-rings as I need truck today.) Month ago I did gear box and pump r/r and replaced o-rings with black hardware store ones. They have blown out twice. Google told me today that special ones are needed for high pressure and for PS fluid.

Oh, and when the o-rings blow, they blow and all the PS will pump out in matter of minutes from the pressure side.

Ok -- I'm about to bite. Any limitations on the use of those o-rings? Can I use them where ever I need o-ring on my 98 XJ?

Edit: Any chance the o-rings in there will work for my oil filter mount?

I had trouble matching up the o-rings for my oil filter mount. I think the kit with the three correct o-rings was like $6.

Back