• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure gauge

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
My oil pressure gauge just went out I think. I was driving and all of sudden the oil pressure went 99% of the way to the high pressure side. I was like o sh$% . I let it sit overnight same thing in the morning just sitting there with key off. When I turn the key on the gauge goes the other 1% towards the high pressure side. If I pull the gauge fuse it doesnt move at all. Is it the gauge? maybe the sending unit? If it is the gauge is it fixable or do I need a new cluster?

Its a 1987 XJ 4.0L 5speed NP231 with around 280,000 miles on motor. And 80,000 showing on gauges

Most likely just the oil pressure sending unit. I recommend purchasing a replacement directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge.

That happens to be the common sign of a failed sending unit.

Any work done in that area lately? A filter change? Sometimes the wire doesn't get on the sending unit correctly.

When in doubt, rent a mechanical pressure gauge and check the oil pressure.

Maybe pull the gauge cluster and check the connections on the back? But sender seems to be most common. Pull the wire from the sender and start it up. If the gauge shows low then is probably the sender.

Back