• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My temp gauge goes over 210 at the littlest escuse !

greenlawnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 that I bought new. In any traffic or stop and go driving, the needle goes over 210. I usually pamic and turn on the heater, no fun in the summer. I have 130K miles on the girl. I just had (another) a water pump failure which I replaced. I also at the same time put in a new radiator, CSP 3 core. New serp belt, rad and heater hoses, new radiator cap, 60/40 anti freeze to water, 195 stat. This isn't normal is it? I know it's not recommended but what about going with a 180 degree thermostat?

Going with a lower temp rating thermostat isn’t going to fix your problem. I live in the Deep South and I can run my Jeep in traffic with the AC going and it goes just a tick over the mid mark. Did you make sure you really flushed the motor? Are you sure your electric fan is operating properly? Is your fan clutch functioning properly? I tried the lower temp thermostat when I was having issues last summer and it ended up being my clutch fan and E fan. I have switched to a three E fan set up and didtched the clutch fan.

Worn fan clutches can make a big difference. Mine seemed OK with the "turn-test", but when I installed a new Hayden clutch it ran much cooler.

and 60% antifreeze is a bit high. water cools the engine and antifreeze prevents freezing, corrosion, and lubes the system. 50/50 is good down to -35. what was the color of the antifreeze before you changed it?

suggest changing the fan, and if you had dark antifreeze before I would flush the system a couple times.

Fan clutch is faulty. Rising temps in stop and go traffic, or on the 4x4 trails, indicates a weak fan clutch.

and 60% antifreeze is a bit high. water cools the engine and antifreeze prevents freezing, corrosion, and lubes the system. 50/50 is good down to -35. what was the color of the antifreeze before you changed it?

suggest changing the fan, and if you had dark antifreeze before I would flush the system a couple times.

Thanks, color was good, flushed 2 years prior

Going with a lower temp rating thermostat isn’t going to fix your problem. I live in the Deep South and I can run my Jeep in traffic with the AC going and it goes just a tick over the mid mark. Did you make sure you really flushed the motor? Are you sure your electric fan is operating properly? Is your fan clutch functioning properly? I tried the lower temp thermostat when I was having issues last summer and it ended up being my clutch fan and E fan. I have switched to a three E fan set up and didtched the clutch fan.

Thanks, I will look into the 3 fan unit. It fits ok with the stock rad?

Thanks, I will look into the 3 fan unit. It fits ok with the stock rad?

Most here will tell you to avoid those set-ups. It's almost impossible to put out more air than the factory set-up!

Most here will tell you to avoid those set-ups. It's almost impossible to put out more air than the factory set-up!

Yea, from what I was reading, to replace the stock clutch fan you would need an electric fan at least 2500 cfm which are over $100

I tend to agree but not completely.

The stock setup pulls quite a bit of air.

I ran a Volvo (fancy Taurus) fan last summer. It cooled the car really well, but its loud and pulled HARD on my stock alternator.

I switched back with a GC clutch and a copper brass radiator. Works fine.

I ran an all aluminum radiator with triple electric fans from FF Dynamics on my last XJ. I had it set up so the fans could be always on, always off (water crossings), or come on automatically. I really liked having those options, but it didn’t cool any better than the stock setup.

Ksuspension has a decent fan setup for not too bad of a price. ive been having the same issue with mine. itll run 210 while driving, but if I sit at a stoplight, low speed driving or offroading itll jump up, several times it has it 219-220, highest so far is 222.8* engine is a reman that's got about 13k miles on it, was flushed this past fall. water pump is at most 2 years old, and the coolant looks good. im gonna get a new clutch for the fan. any good brands?

If you want cooling, dump the cheap fan set-up idea and buy a Hesco pump!

a pump that moves more may not quite fix the issue. push it through the rad too fast it wont have enough time to cool sufficiently. I like the triple fan setup because you can adjust it to what you need.

Back