• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AirFilter instal

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
On my 1990 Cherokee, 4 liter inline motor. the air filter elememt is a rectangular unit. When I bought the jeep last month I found the filter element had collapsed, fallen down on on end, thus allowing air to bypass the filter, and boy was that air dirty.

So I wanted to figure how this element some how slipped out of its holder and fall out. the element is held by the housing, between the lower housing and the lid. Clamped between the lid and lower housing

What I noticed is that if you set the filter in the lower housing, then install the lid, there is a way for the element to move a bit during the lid install and thus not be fully around be clamped in place by the lid.

But by installing the element in the lid first, then turning it upright and lower the element and filter onto the lower housing, the element stays seated in its correct location.

I dont know if this the authorized way for install or not, but for sure, installing the element in the lid first is near fool proof, where as installing the element first in the lower housing is a bit risky for the element is free to slip out of place before the lid can be secured.
the lid has the retaining groove for the element.

This was a KN filter, but the same seems to be true for a paper filter.

I ended up cleaning out the bellows hose to the throttle body and the throttle body too, oily with some dirt in the mix! A fallen element in the housing is as bad as no filter at all.

Watch for this important detail is my advice.

anyway, newbie observation, my first jeep, maybe I am wrong and full of it, but this appears to me to be the case, always install the element in the lid first seems to be the thing to do.

Keep Jeepin!

The way the filter sits in the housing, it almost impossible to do it wrong much less have it fall in.
Maybe the filter was so plugged up that it stopped flowing enough air and the engine's vacuum sucked it in.

Back