• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement short block?

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Okay, tell me if I'm doing something wrong here, but I'm considering replacing the short block on my 98 4.0, as I have a known good head which looks clean. Short block (from https://www.mabbcomotors.com/catalo...515-no-core-required-90-day-limited-warranty/) comes with a new cam and am going to get replacement lifters and oil pump.

Wanting to go this route because I get a little bit more control of what pistons, brass freeze plugs etc. Reman'd long blocks from various vendors don't give you that info. I plan to get the installing shop to go over the short block to double check torque specs if possible as well.

Is this a bad idea? I'm just not real keen on rolling the dice on some remanufactured donor motor when I know mine hasn't been in any accidents, overheated, etc. Also, re: my previous thread, I don't have the option of pulling my own and rebuilding because I don't have the time to give up my only vehicle.

I'd be scared simply for the fact that they don't have a "reputation"!

Okay, but I'm mad as hell right now. All I can get out of anyone who's done a reman engine is a touchy feely about how "I've gone a few thousand and its still run great." And looking around you get zero information about the quality of components in a reman'ed engine, nothing about how over the cylinders are bored in a Jasper or how well. Just a lot of knee jerk brand loyalty or "never use these guys their engines always seize up leaving you hanging the bag". I'm disappointed at the cloak and dagger aspect of this industry.

Looking at doing the same thing. What I hear about Mabco is the overbore can get quite large. I'd suggest you call whom ever you use and discuss what you expect and what it's going to cost. Oh, and you'd better be prepared to "inspect" what ever they ship.

Looking at doing the same thing. What I hear about Mabco is the overbore can get quite large. I'd suggest you call whom ever you use and discuss what you expect and what it's going to cost. Oh, and you'd better be prepared to "inspect" what ever they ship.

Yeah, I saw that too on a review. But everyone else seems to be a total black box on what you get.

Okay, but I'm mad as hell right now. All I can get out of anyone who's done a reman engine is a touchy feely about how "I've gone a few thousand and its still run great." And looking around you get zero information about the quality of components in a reman'ed engine, nothing about how over the cylinders are bored in a Jasper or how well. Just a lot of knee jerk brand loyalty or "never use these guys their engines always seize up leaving you hanging the bag". I'm disappointed at the cloak and dagger aspect of this industry.

In one sense I see where you are coming from. I was able to read a review on a $80 ball joint press before I bought it at Harbor Freight.

But Harbor Freight sells thousands of those tools and probably only 1 in 1000 buyers review them.

I'd guess the sales of Jeep 4.0 rebuilt engines are not in the 1000s per year, so casting about for a review is not likely to be successful.

About six years ago I picked a new GM short block for my Suburban over the Jasper because it was a bit cheaper. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with Jasper. They are a big outfit selling engines with a warranty to shops all over the country. If they were selling bad remans or not honoring their warranty, they would have a bad rep or be out of business.

Go ask some shops that use Jasper remans and ask them what their experience has been.

When I was in a market for an XJ a few months ago, I was considering one with a shot engine and I called Jasper for quote. They were helpful and courteous on the phone. Have you tried calling them with your questions?

Back