• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nor rum....

Good morning everyone I have a problem on my 90 renix Cherokee XJ 4000.
This problem presented itself rarely became more frequent and now I can not use the Jeep.
I state that the spark plugs, the distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, and coil are new, but nevertheless it is hard to start the engine and does not take the rpm and if If I ask a little bit of power, when on, the car crackles....
Suggestions?
Excuse me for my english I'm from Italy and Please reply in easy english, thanks before to all.
Steve.

I would say step one is to confirm fuel pressure. See if you can borrow a gauge to do this.

The other thing to do is to confirm you have a good spark. Remove a spark plug wire from a plug, pick a way to get a path close to the engine block, but with a gap and without using yourself as part of that path, and then get someone to crank the engine over while you watch for a spark. It should be readily visible.

New parts don't always equate to good parts.

Once you can confirm both spark and fuel we can start to consider other possibilities.

And I will think about how we could work in a bottle of rum too. :jester:

For check the fuel pressure I nneed some days for find a gauge.
The spark plug are new, and the gap is like how when buy....

It is worth your while to get a gauge so that you can be certain of the pressure.

As to the spark, there are a number of ways you can be lacking spark. A bit over a year ago my ignition coil died in my XJ. Not a common issue, but it can happen. That is just one example. There are plenty of other problems that could occur. A simple visual confirmation of spark is worth doing.

Back