• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window Regulator questions

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a 1996 2 door. My drivers side (manual crank) window regulator is giving up the ghost.

My question is: Are the 4 door front regulators the same as 2 door regulators on a pre 97 xj? I have looked all over and have not been able to find a definite yes or no answer.

My plan is to convert to power because im too lazy to reach across to roll down the passenger window. Well, that and its kinda tough to do safely when your going down the road.

Hopefully someone here can clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance!

Since you have bigger doors/windows I would guess the regulator is different. Look them both up on Rock Auto and see if the part numbers match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I’ve definitely looked around. Most places only show 4 door, the rest don’t specify 2 or 4 door. I had one guy from eBay say they’d work but I get the feeling he was just telling me what I want to hear.

Someone on here has to have had the doors apart on both a 2 door and a 4 door and knows if they’re the same or not. ;) i know there’s some guru’s on this forum.

I guess I could just order one and see, but I’d rather get the right stuff first time for sure.

I know for sure on 97+, the power regulators are not the same, and replacement ones are no longer available new. Not sure of the 96 and down, but I would assume they are not the same as the 4 door. You might be able to find some in junkyards, but they are extremely rare. I tried to find some for my 99 2 door, but no luck. I had to repair mine, doable, but kind of a pain.
The 2 door power regulators have 2 guides on them, and the 4 doors only have 1. You can see a picture of the 2 door regulators on www.steigerperformance.com/

So I've been poking around the web a bit and it's looking more and more like, on the pre pre 97 models the 2 & 4 door regulators are interchangeable. manual regulators, however, are just not available new. The electric ones seem to be readily available. I think I'm going to order one up to compare to what I have.

I found this site. Its saying the difference is on the 97+ models. http://www.steigerperformance.com/2door/

I also looked at the 2door xj group on facebook. I found 3-4 people claiming a direct fit.

Worst case scenario I'll just return the one I got and keep the piece of tape that lets me pull the glass up till the crank takes over. :roflmao:

Back