• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration noise (not much actual vibration) with bigger tires

dfrissell

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 4.5 inch lift on a 2001 xj and have been noticing an oscillating vibration noise that appears at around 45 mph and gets louder and more frequent as the speed increases. There is no change when coasting, giving it gas, or when braking. The vibration started occuring when I put on new 32 inch tires and rims and replaced the stock tires. The tires have been balanced (2 times to make sure) and the front has been aligned. There was no vibration noise with the stock tires. Any idea what the most likely cause of the vibration noise is?

RyanM said:
your ChryCo.8.25?
:confused1 How do you come to that conclusion? :twak: The problem most likely has something to do with the following: driveshaft or u-joints but could be tracbar, draglink, tierod angles/condition!! Or maybe just maybe the tech that balanced the tires is retarded!!:cool:

Last edited:
Could be u-joints or pinion angle.The larger tire causes more torque-wrap in the drivetrain!

Narly biter tires would be my guess , i think thats what mine is from ?
All new stuff ,lift,sye kit ,new joints all around , and new Narly Biters ?
Have to trade with someone to know for sure

Yea most dont understand that. Funny was getting a flat repaired one time at Shwabies and guy walks in and says "man my truck rides like crap now that i bought these tires from ya" I looked out and hes runnin boggers on a Toyota P/U (apparently his DD) I looked at him and just laughed.... and walked off.

Yeah, they are a mud terrain tire. If it is just the tires, will it eventually cause damage to anything or are they okay to keep on? If it is the pinion angle in the front, how soon should I get it fixed? Thanks for the replies.

dfrissell said:
Yeah, they are a mud terrain tire. If it is just the tires, will it eventually cause damage to anything or are they okay to keep on? If it is the pinion angle in the front, how soon should I get it fixed? Thanks for the replies.

try unbolting the front d/s and drive without it and see if thats the source of the vibes, if not then don't worry about the front pinion angle (unless you're having other issues like poor handling or excessive tire wear)

What type of tire? Keep in mind most M/T's get louder as they wear...20,000 miles from now you'll think back as to how it used to ride like a Cadillac! LOL!

Back