• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country Lift

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking on EBay and they have a 4.5" Rough Country lift using full Leaf packs and New coils for $525. Does anyone have any experiance with this kit of with rough country items in general? The kit come with most items needed for the lift to be complete, ie shocks, LCA, bar pin eliminaters for front shocks, sway bar drop, Tcase drop, track bar relocater, rear packs, and coils. My intention is to put this kit on, add 1.75" spacers n o factory isolater, then 1.75 shackles and possibly a shim if needed. I figure I should be fairly level and be sitting around 6".....33's here I come!......But as I said Any info on this kit and my idea is appreciated. Thanks

I ran their4.5" lift when I first started out. And I also bought a 2 inch spacer for the front, and an extended shackles for the rear to bring me to inches of lift. I wheeled this for a season before I tossed it. The front coils were fine. Flexed good upfront, but the control arm angles sucked. The rear leafs were stiff. Also, I just threw the track bar relocator away. I didn't like that. I went out and bought a RE adjustable instead. All in all, a descent, and fairly complete lift for not a lot of money in my opinion.

Their products seem to be hit or miss as far as quality.

I bought their 3" basic kit 6 years ago (geez, it's been that long) and and just recently replaced the front springs. 1/2 " over 6 years aint too bad. the rear AAL's however didn't last that long (probably because of already sagging springs)

Now I'm not half as hardcore as I'd like to think I am, but I go out once or twice a month and abuse it .

Rough country did pretty well in my book.

HTH,
John

It is a good starting point, but as you progress, I'll wager you'll replace most of it. The only thing that will remain on my '98 will be the front coils when I'm done. My 4.5 RC lift with rear springs actually came with 3" rear packs and 1.5" blocks. From what I understand, this has now been rectified with 4.5" springs, and no blocks. My kit also came with a new track bar. Just so you are aware, I had to replace the tie rod end on the track bar in like a month or something, also the u-bolts they sent with my kit wouldn't work with the blocks. I've posted about this lift before, and it's connection to Rusty's. It should still be around on like page 10 or something. Good luck, Dann

my advice.. spend once the right way instead of twice.. ( once rough country, second time good lift parts. ) then again i have a very bad experience with RC stuff. if i had to do it again i would have saved for longer and bought the Rubicon express kit.

i started out with the rough country and ended up switching to a rubicon express kit. i hated the rough country and wish i had never wasted money on it.

I don't mind the Rough Country lift. I bought the 3" with the full length add a leafs out back. Definately stiffer than stock but the stock Cherokee rear is too soft anyway. I don't like the shocke that came with the kit though. You could buy the kit minus the shocks and then get some decent shocks.
All in all, decent for the money.

Agreed. I also have the 3" kit. Fine for now. I only run 30"s so I can still flex and not rub. I've had a good experience thus far. But if you're going 4.5", I'd go with a beter kit. And yes, they are seriouslt hit or miss. Knowing what I do now, I would have bought a R.E. kit and larger tires. As everything in car parts is, you get what you pay for.

Basically, it boils down to how much money you have, and what you intend to do with your vehicle. If I knew then what I know now, I would have been a bit more patient, and saved for the RE kit. There are other kits out there that are probably as good, but I'd still go with the RE 4.5" x-duty lift. If you just plan to run mild trails and shallow mud holes, and are willing to gamble on the kit quality, go with the RC. Just make sure the lift wasn't made on a Monday or Friday, and the quality should be fine...That's a joke. Good luck, Dann

Back