• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Coil Rail / Fuel Injectors Fuse 18 Keeps Blowing

deisenba

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L automatic. It has been sitting for a couple years, just got it running again. I've ran it about 4-6 times in the driveway and drove it around the block 2x yesterday. Started it up today after cleaning the IAC because of high/rough idle and it idled perfectly. I drove it up the road to make a loop and I got about 5 houses away and it just died. Coasted back to the house and started checking fuses. I found the coil rail/fuel injector fuse 18 blown. I replaced it and once the key was turned on, it blew again. I upped it to a 20A fuse from 15A to see if that made a difference and again as soon as the key was turned on before even trying to crank it, the fuse blew. Thoughts? Going out to pull the coil pack now and try to test it.

Blown fuses means a short circuit. Check the related wire harnesses, look for chafed wire insulation, failed wire splices, and wires melted from hot engine/exhaust parts or from overheated circuits.

Replace the fuse with a bulb (I prefer a headlight bulb, but a test-light will also work). Turn the ignition on and the light should light up indicating a short, start jiggling the harness and see if the light goes out, if it does go out, then the last part of the harness you moved has your short. If jiggling the harness has no effect start unplugging things, the last thing you unplugged before the light went out has your short.

Back