NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old July 27th, 2021, 09:15
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Droop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 22nd, 2021, 22:43
NAXJA Member

Re: XJ axle swap/build

I'd say run it like that. I'm thinking you should shoot for parallel track bar/drag link at ride height +/- a few inches which is where you're going to encounter the vast majority of moderate/high speed bumps that would cause bump steer. In other words, you need to be moving at speed for bump steer to be an issue. That pretty much will never be the case for your jeep at full bump or droop unless you're going through woops that fully cycle your front suspension. Hopefully that made sense
Old August 23rd, 2021, 06:50
NAXJA Forum User

XJ axle swap/build

Run it. They look like they travel in the same arc enough to minimize bump steer.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 09:35
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Thank you both for your input. I still have this mount but Iím concerned about clearance for a Currie style sway bar. Iím in the Process of fabbing another mount that does not stick out so far from the frame rail, to get that clearance for the sway bar. Weíll see how it goes, if it doesnít I still have this one.

Old August 24th, 2021, 12:24
NAXJA Member

I had a similar setup on mine for quite awhile. If there was any bump steer, it was't really noticeable. Even the larger dips in the freeways that caused the suspension to cycle more than normal didn't cause me any issues. My axle was narrowed about 2 inches and I'm still using my old Full-Traction trackbar mount on the frame making my trackbar shorter than your t.b. looks to be. My axle end was whatever TNT gave me for the over-the-knuckle steering.
'91 Cherokee Larado, BDS 5.5" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 37" Patagonia MT's, 5:38's, D60 w/ARB in back, F250 hp44 front w/E-Locker, Atlas 3.8.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 00:40
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Been a while since Iíve posted. Between getting the coof and traveling with the family I havenít had much time to work on the Jeep. But I was able to get the 3rd track bar bracket in and it is parallel at ride height and the length is very close between track bar and drag link now. Have the front axle almost done. Need to install steering box brace and shock mounts, weld tie rod, then trim fenders more. Finally have it sitting on its own weight.

Old December 3rd, 2021, 00:41
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Old December 3rd, 2021, 21:30
NAXJA Member

Yes! The wheel and body color go well together. Much work to be done but you're on the home stretch
Old December 4th, 2021, 11:01
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates2000XJ View Post
Yes! The wheel and body color go well together. Much work to be done but you're on the home stretch

Thank you! Iím pretty happy with it. Do you have any wise words for me as I get ready to do the rear axle?

Old December 4th, 2021, 20:34
NAXJA Member

Measure 5 times weld once haha. in all seriosity it'll be a lot more convenient to have another pair of hand help align the axle/set the pinion angle. What's the plan for drivelines?
Old December 4th, 2021, 23:11
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Measure 5x is a good idea for sure. Iíve been thinking about using a laser level or a pointer to set pinion angle. I have a couple friends who are more than willing to help so thatís nice.

I havenít really planned to much in regards to drive shafts. I was hoping the original ones might fit but I think the rear will need to be shortened and the front will need to be lengthened. If thatís the case I might try to lengthen/shorten then myself and sleeve them at the same time to make them beefy and keep them straight. Did you do new custom length drive shafts?

Old December 5th, 2021, 00:27
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

To set the angle I used a piece of pvc pipe cut to within an inch (imagine itís the driveshaft) between the two yoke nuts. Use an angle finder on the pinion yoke and match the angle with the pvc pipe. This was the fastest way for me to dial in a rough angle then I tighten down the spring perches and carefully adjusted until I could repeatedly and reliably get the same measurement. Iíve gone +70mph without a hint of driveline vibes.

South Bay Driveline. Have had nothing but positive things to say for them and their work.

Old December 5th, 2021, 09:47
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Thatís a good idea, I have some PVC lying around from my mock up links. For squaring your axle to the body, what landmarks did you measure from?

Thanks, Iíll check them out.

Old December 5th, 2021, 12:50
NAXJA Member

For the d60 I just finished, and the d44 that it replaced, I just used the axle flanges at the end of the tubes to measure to the spring pads, after I figured out the center-to-center for the spring pads first.

Also, some people recommend to have the yoke slightly down, 1 or 2 degrees, from a straight line for the driveline angle. Once it's under power, while driving, it makes up that difference from the torque required to keep the rig moving while driving.
'91 Cherokee Larado, BDS 5.5" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 37" Patagonia MT's, 5:38's, D60 w/ARB in back, F250 hp44 front w/E-Locker, Atlas 3.8.
Old December 5th, 2021, 20:42
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
For the d60 I just finished, and the d44 that it replaced, I just used the axle flanges at the end of the tubes to measure to the spring pads, after I figured out the center-to-center for the spring pads first.

Also, some people recommend to have the yoke slightly down, 1 or 2 degrees, from a straight line for the driveline angle. Once it's under power, while driving, it makes up that difference from the torque required to keep the rig moving while driving.

Thank you for the input, Rob. Iím doing ruff stuff u-bolt eliminators, so my plan is to bolt the bracket to the leaf springs, then lower it onto the axle which will be on Jack stands and Iím hoping that way will make it easy to square and to set pinion angle.

Did you set your pinion angle 1-2 deg down on both your axles? How did it treat you if so?