• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure sensor sending unit

jeep_cj8

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else out there have problems with the oil pressure sending unit lasting? I am on my second one in 40k miles. Does autozone or anyone else carry these besides Jeep?

ROB

I got one from Oreilly Auto, but Im sure Vatozone carries them asa well since they are such close competitors. HTH

Mike

The original (old, large can-style) in my '88 lasted about 175,000 miles. The first replacement (new, small style) was grossly inaccurate right out of the box. Dealer admitted this is a problem and replaced it. Second replacement was also bad. Third replacement was reasonable accurate and has been in for about 60,000 miles, but in the last few days I've noticed it says my idle oil pressure is 45 psi (highly unlikely), so I assume it's on the way out.

I doubt an after-market unit will be any better, but at least it might be cheaper.

Forgot to add as far as accuracy goes I really havent got an educated guess. I converted from the idiot lights and the pressure reads very good when cold (naturaly) but when hot it reads around 35psi@ 2000RPM and around 18-20psi@ idle. Could be off, could be right. I would imagine its going to be marginaly lower due to the fact that theres just over 200,000 miles on the original engine.

Mike

For the mileage, those pressures sound about right. Is this on 10W30 oil?

Yes, thats 10W-30 in the Texas heat. Ive been thinking of changing to 10W-40 for the summers here.

Mike

Back