• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal Fest 2020

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
Is there any plan for SoCal Fest 2020. Has a date been set and a location decided? The sooner we can all get this on our calendars and reserve camp sites the better.

I am in the process of getting the event set up and should have it posted by later this evening.

I had to call and make sure there is enough site availability for the location and confirm with the rest of the BOD

Since Big Bear was last year I expect something different is in the works for this year.

Looking forward to seeing what Ryan and the BOD has in the works, and hoping it isn't the end of April/beginning of May because I already have reservations in Moab.

I think we'll be alternating b/w Big Bear and Calico for a while, and possibly doing a 2nd event somewhere else in the fall.
We're debating the Calico dates for this year, it should be up shortly. Personally I love Big Bear, but a lot of folks (especially the Buggy crowd) like Calico because they can wheel their non-street-legal rigs there.

Further north is a brilliant suggestion.

:yelclap:

I would be game for DV.

There is talk of Panamint Springs. Only talk, at this point, but it's on the table.

There is talk of Panamint Springs. Only talk, at this point, but it's on the table.

Hmmmmm. Might be interesting to see what that place is like.

David Bricker / SYR

I'm familiar with some trails in J tree. Issue would be camping, most of the campgrounds fill up quick. Issue #2 would be the park entry fee, adds a chunk of change to the trip.

Yes, availability is first-come first-served, which isn't practical for anything resembling an "organized" event. For Chapter events, we really need to be able to rent sites ahead of time, and have at least pit toilets and running potable water (to appeal to more members and their families). These days RV hookups seem to be an expected part of the equation as well...

I’m game to go anywhere. I’d be glad to do Big Bear again, or Calico. Great wheeling either way. I’ve never been to Panamint, but I’d sure like to check it out. Same with Joshua Tree, fees be damned. I’m just hoping it’s not the weekend of May 1 to May 3, because if it is I am out. Going turkey hunting with my son in Red Bluff that weekend. Gobble gobble.

Last edited:
With regard to National Park fees, there are a couple of ways to get around them: Fourth graders and seasoned citizens.

Any fourth grader should have a National Parks Pass. The "Every Kid in a Park" program has been doing this for years. A kid with a pass gets his family (or whoever else is in the vehicle) in for free.

Any seasoned citizen should get their lifetime National Parks Pass. You pay once and you are good for the rest of your life. And, like the fourth grader, everybody else in the vehicle gets in for free. At the 35th anniversary event in Moab SandySteve was trail leader for the Lathrop Canyon run. He wanted to do that run via the Schafer Trail (definitely the best way to do it), but knowing that involved going into Canyonlands and thus needing park passes he rounded up three seasoned citizen friends of his and brought them along for the ride so that they could be available to hop into anyone else's rig as a passenger and help defray the costs.

What about the other 90% of us who dont own a fourth grader, and no old person in their right mind want to spend a whole weekend with me. :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, I went back as far as I could in the "Past Events" area to see when and where past SoCal Fests have been held. This is what I found:

2019, started 3rd Fri. in May, Big Bear
2018, started 4th Fri. in April, Calico
2017, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2016, started 5th Fri. in April, Big Bear
2015, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2014, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2013, started 4th Fri. in April, Big Bear
2012, started 4th Fri. in April, Calico
2011, started 3rd Fri. in May, Big Bear
2010, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2009, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2008, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear
2007, started 1st Fri. in May, Big Bear

if you enter Joshua Tree off of the I-10 freeway you can get out of paying the fees.After you pass the entrance gate you take the Old Dale mine road, they have a lot of old mines an stuff to check out. We just find a canyon to set up camp for the night. Google it and see what you can do. Haven't found anything hard to do, just driving around to the mines. We have found some with the tracks still on the ground.

Make since? LOL.

Back