• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Chains

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
Going up to big bear tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any tire chains i could borrow for the day, cause $100 is a little steep for a 1 time thing. I need them to fit a 265/70/17. Let me know. Thanks

-John

unless you get stopped by a cop i doubt you'll need them unless you just have no common sense to drive in the snow.

They check for them when you're driving up. If you don't have them, they don't let you go up the mountain.

(if they aren't checking, you don't usually need them at all).

I used to carry a set of stocker sized (i have 35's) to get past the checkpoint (they were in a paper bag, you couldnt tell they were too small). I spent a long night winching myself back to the pavement when the sun set and the trails iced over - now i have chains that fit. :)

we have pretty crazy mountain passes and a lot of snow in southern b.c. and I cant think of anytime where chains are a requisite to "keep going". What do they make you guys carry? a set of four or just a set?

we have pretty crazy mountain passes and a lot of snow in southern b.c. and I cant think of anytime where chains are a requisite to "keep going". What do they make you guys carry? a set of four or just a set?

Most people who drive in snow here only drive in snow a couple of times in their life.

And just a pair. :)

Hit up craigslist

I bought a pair the day before I went up the mountain last year for 20 bucks

chains are for people who cant drive in the snow... ;D. if i cant make it w/o chains i dont really need to be there do i?

I'm inclined to disagree.

image_039.jpg

image_049.jpg

Since I live up here in our local mountains, maybe I can be of some assistance. I just passed the highway 38 checkpoint about 20 minutes ago. They are requiring 4 wheel drive and chains. You do not have to have them on, but you must show them or you are going home. You do not need 2 sets. You only need a set for 2 tires. I chose not to put my chains on this evening. The highway had been plowed and seemed pretty clear of ice. The street I live on is a dirt road that is quite steep and NOT plowed. With 6" of new snow on top of slush and ice I had a hard time getting into my driveway, but I did make it eventually. I bought some chains and rubber tighteners at Kragen in Yucaipa back in November and they fit my 35's great. They cost $70 with tax.

Back