• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Main Bearings?

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
My son wants to drop his oil pan and put a set of main bearings in his 4.0 to see if maybe that will quiet it down for awhile. My question is , Do we go back with stock bearings or do we go oversize?
Digger

Only way to know is use some plastigauge or "mic" (sp?) the journals.

How many miles?

You may be able to just go back with stock since the old bearings are "worn" some but some kind of measurement is needed I am sure.

JC95

First, on the 4.0L it is usually the rod bearings that need to be replaced rather than the mains. Second, check the build code stamped on the side of the block near the distributor. Some engines came from the factory 0.010 under on crank and/or rod bearings. If you have one of those, putting in standard bearings would make things worse rather than better.

Other than that, I would throw in whatever size came in the engine. Some people advocate using replacements that are 0.001 smaller (dealer only, I believe), but that's probably not necessary.

Back