• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, just a click.

pair8hd

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and wasn't satisfied so I will contribute to the "no start" threads.
It's a Patriot Blue '88 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, 231, will just make a click when you try and fire it up. Before it died it did this so I wiggled the shifter around and it started. Parked it for 5 minutes then now it has been sitting in the same spot for days.

I have bypassed the NSS and still the same thing.

It has a new CPS and the Mopar C101 connector bypass patch harness.

Battery is good.

Any more suggestions?

Maybe you've seen 'Imma Honky' s thread on the no-crank problem. If not have a look at the posts there since they deal with the same problem.

Replace the start relay. It is located on the passenger fender, near the battery. There are 4 normal looking relays next to it. To find it examine the POS terminal of the battery, there should be a large wire going to the starter and a small wire running to this sliver box by the 4 relays. The silver box IS the start relay.

Buy a new one and call it done. Also you may want to replace the battery cables, they run in some plastic conduit and every time you change the oil some gets on teh cable. Craig H's wireing upgrade talks to useing #4 wire as min size for these cables.

martin said:
Replace the start relay. It is located on the passenger fender, near the battery. There are 4 normal looking relays next to it. To find it examine the POS terminal of the battery, there should be a large wire going to the starter and a small wire running to this sliver box by the 4 relays. The silver box IS the start relay.

Buy a new one and call it done. Also you may want to replace the battery cables, they run in some plastic conduit and every time you change the oil some gets on teh cable. Craig H's wireing upgrade talks to useing #4 wire as min size for these cables.
Is the start relay a stealership only item? I figure since ive replaced almost every other main electrical component, I might as well continue... :)

Yup - but it can be replaced with a Bosch relay. I did this because I was eating start relays like popcorn last year (at about $30 EACH!) and couldn't find a reason. I put in a regular Bosch/Hella relay with a Borg-Warner prewired socket, ziptied it to a mounting bracket, and left the rest of the wiring on the start relay for power distribution (until I clean that up.) It's been well over a year and no trouble.

It's doable, but I'd have to look at how I did it before I could tell you. It wasn't that hard, tho. Besides, the Bosch relays I get all day long for about $5 each, so I wouldn't mind so much if I cooked one of those...

5-90

5-90 said:
Yup - but it can be replaced with a Bosch relay. I did this because I was eating start relays like popcorn last year (at about $30 EACH!) and couldn't find a reason. I put in a regular Bosch/Hella relay with a Borg-Warner prewired socket, ziptied it to a mounting bracket, and left the rest of the wiring on the start relay for power distribution (until I clean that up.) It's been well over a year and no trouble.

It's doable, but I'd have to look at how I did it before I could tell you. It wasn't that hard, tho. Besides, the Bosch relays I get all day long for about $5 each, so I wouldn't mind so much if I cooked one of those...

5-90
hit me back channel with more info please! INPUT INPUT INPUT!
(don't want to hijack)

I had this issue with my '96. I took an old screwdriver, turned the ignition to RUN position, then used the screwdriver to short the two large lugs together on the solenoid. Fired right up. Went to AutoZone and bought a new Wells unit for like 20$..

Lmfao!!!

Thank God you told us it was Patriot Blue, because that makes all the difference in the world when it comes to diagnosis.
:D
I didn't know Patriot blue was offered in 1988.
Double :D :D

will the starter ever turn over if you keep turning the ignition? also have you had your starter checked? also check all of you connections make sure they are clean then start thinking of the relay or the igniton. both are relitively cheep parts to replace.

I had my starter tested at advanced auto parts last night. Turns out it was bad, so they gave me a new one. Luckily it had a lifetime warranty. This will be my 3rd starter. Thanks for the help. Later.

Back