• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where would I start??

If you want to part it....contact me. I might pay you cash for it.

As for purchasing a head: Use the interwebs to get junkyard telephone numbers and start calling. Have it shipped. This will cost you more than $600 in parts and rebuild. Plus the cost of swapping out heads if you pay someone. Cars have a body, a tranny, and an engine. Rebuilding any of the three is pricey...but usually worth it if you want to keep the vehicle.

Yes, I hear what is being said. Mine is a very nice unit. Previous owner put in a three inch lift. I don't know about the SYE, doesn't have the front sway bar disconnects, but has Rubicon wheels and custom rear bumper, front JCR. Leather, etc. So too nice to part out I think. Besides wouldn't get enough for it...thinking out loud. Close to 190,000 on the odometer. Not worth a whole lot in that regard I think. With a Wrangler LJ and a Liberty diesel, I need to thin the herd I think.

OK, so, called Clearwater Cylinder. They carry another rebuilt 0331 that they guarantee for life. They said they build these to avoid the issue and the TUPY would give me the same issues. (Only repeating what he said, I don't have any facts on that last statement). Stated that the head would be $455 need gaskets and head bolts. So he said they sell that could do it for $620 shipped. (So $600 not far off)

So, I just received my compression tester and will so a search on how to do the compression test unless someone offers up a quick how to :)

I would not fool with a 0331 head. They are defective. Shaving it and doing a valve job does not address the inherent weakness of the head. And the TUPY head WILL NOT give you the same problem. The TUPY head was recast with thicker walls between the trouble cylinders specifically so it WOULD NOT give the same problems. They just want to sell you a head. Lifetime warranty means they will ship you another rebuilt head if the one you have fails. Plus, they want the failed head back, at your $100 shipping expense, before they ship you ANOTHER 0331 head that will likely fail. And then, when you get your "free" replacement, you have to do all the work or pay someone else to. And the warranty does not include the head gasket, which is also expensive. Replacing a head is a hassle. I would not want to replace one twice on the same vehicle...even if the replacement IS free. I would put on a good one the first time around. That means getting a TUPY head. I have never heard of a TUPY head failing due to cracks. Valves wear out. Head gaskets can fail. But heads should not EVER fail. Unless they are poorly made....like ALL of the 0331 heads were.

I understand that you can get a head, ready to go, from Clearwater. But shortcuts will not really be shortcuts in this instance (IMO). I would go the long route by getting a used head, paying to have it remanufactured, and then swapping them out.

Just my opinion. I'm just some guy with an XJ. Individual results may vary.

OK, so, called Clearwater Cylinder. They carry another rebuilt 0331 that they guarantee for life. They said they build these to avoid the issue and the TUPY would give me the same issues. (Only repeating what he said, I don't have any facts on that last statement). Stated that the head would be $455 need gaskets and head bolts. So he said they sell that could do it for $620 shipped. (So $600 not far off)
That's about what my buddy here paid for it. One thing is the warranty is only good if you get it installed by an ASE certified mechanic (need a receipt), and they won't honor the warranty if you do it yourself.

TUPY is a corrective casting and will not have the same problem; if you can find one for a couple hundred go for it and get a machine shop to work on it.

I would be comfortable doing either one. Whichever is cheaper. You should replace the head bolts either way.

So, I just received my compression tester and will so a search on how to do the compression test unless someone offers up a quick how to :)
Remove the spark plugs, screw the gauge into cylinder #1, crank the starter a few times (enough for ~3 full rotations), and then read the gauge to see the compression on that cylinder. Reset the gauge and move it to the next cylinder, repeat as needed.

So even though Clearwater was a recommendation per one poster, it seems that when you drill down into the facts and look at what other's experiences are, its not a good way to go.

I specifically asked about the 0331 heads they use and they stated the heads were strengthened. Nothing about having them installed by a professional mechanic to protect the warranty. Sounds like a deal made with hidden requirements.

Guess I'll find a TUPY head at the yard.

Thank you for providing the procedure for the compression test. That was definitely needed and much appreciated!!

Fuel pump relay! Check!

Also, that amazon reference is for a 0331 head by Clearwater Cylinder, the company that we have been talking about. Not sure, based on what I've been reading here, that the 0331 head is for me since I've been through one already...actually two by now since the first motor had that issue and I had to pick up my son in Nebraska with the trailer after that one gave up the ghost. Best part: January! What a fun trip that was! :)

Ralf

Back