• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The build thread

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
My 1992 XJ stock:
002.jpg

My 92 XJ as of last week:
072.jpg

The build thus far:
Had to remove a few bits:
day1.jpg

day12.jpg

day13.jpg

day14.jpg

day15.jpg

A few bits waiting to go in:
day16.jpg

day17.jpg

day18.jpg

day2.jpg

Old rims/tires:
day22.jpg

New rims/tires:
day23.jpg

day24.jpg

Welded 27spline 8.25 after a summer of really hard wheeling and abuse:
day25.jpg

day26.jpg

day27.jpg

day28.jpg

day29.jpg

day210.jpg

day211.jpg

day212.jpg

day213.jpg

day214.jpg

Waggy D44:
day215.jpg

The parts hauler:
day216.jpg

Tera 4:1, TNT belly pan, and SYE awaiting install
day217.jpg

Herculiner for the floorpan and Rustoleum for the exterior, axles, and New LA's:
day220.jpg

To clean the floor with afterwards:
day221.jpg

New 8.8 on top, old 8.25 on bottom:
day222.jpg

day223.jpg

No more axle:
day23-1.jpg

The Waggy D44 being inspected:
day26-1.jpg

So the plan is this:

Drivetrain:
Waggy D44 w/ TNT Truss, 4.56 gears, PowerTrax No-Slip locker, late 70's F150 hubs and brakes, 5x5.5 bolt pattern

Explorer 8.8 w/ TNT Ubolt eliminators, 4.56 gears, PowerTrax No-Slip locker, SpiderTrax 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapter/1.5" spacers

Np231 w/ Teraflex 4:1 kit, Advance adapters SYE

Tom Wood's custom rear CV driveshaft

Stock 4.0 and AX-15

Suspension:
Front: 6.5" Rusty's Springs, TNT Belly pan and Y-Link LA's

Rear: 4" BOR super flex leaf springs, 1.5" shackles (already have on, plus 1.5" TNT Ubolt eliminators equal 7" of lift)

Exterior/chassis:
painted w/ rustoleum flat green, TNT uni-frame stiffners, custom rocker guards, Rusty's flexible cutout flares (already installed), Detours XJ Backbone for front bumper

Interior:
CB radio, Herculined floor, new head unit (damaged mine while washing the interior)

Additional repair items to be done:
new fuel pump, new water pump, new rear main seal, replace all ujoints in front driveshaft

I'm hoping to get done in time for Novemeber to Remember. Wish me luck.

I have almost all the parts I need either here or enroute, just need to source a few odds and ends.

Ok so yesterday I got some more work done.

First the wife helped me remove the front bumper in prep. for the Detours Backbone that is on the way.
day310.jpg

day311.jpg

day312.jpg

Then I removed my faulty leaf spring that was causing my XJ to lean. RC had actually sent me a replacement no questions asked a few months ago but I never put it on.
day313.jpg

day314.jpg

(notched the pinch weld because it annoys me how it gets in the way of that bolt)
day315.jpg

day316.jpg

day317.jpg

day318.jpg

Then I had to take a break for some nourishment. :D
day319.jpg

After the mourishment my son wanted some love, and to steal my hat.
day32.jpg

My buddy Matt after helping me pull the T-Case.
day320.jpg

The T-Case and TeraLow kit side by side.
day321.jpg

And the AA SYE
day322.jpg

Test painted some of the Jeep because I was bored.
day323.jpg

day324.jpg

I also received my 4.56 gears for both the D44 and 8.8, along with my RE HD Trac Bar w/ brace and RE GENII sway bar disco's

day35.jpg

day36.jpg

Old Rusty's HD T-Case crossmember
day37.jpg

day38.jpg

Random pics
day39.jpg

day3-1.jpg

day3.jpg

After the nourishment my son wanted some love, and to steal my hat.
day32.jpg

......aaahhh.............I remember the 3-4 month old days :wierd: ............wait until he can crawl :conceited .......in to EVERYTHING!

My buddy Matt after helping me pull the T-Case.
day320.jpg

.........looks like your friend is doing ALL the pulling? :shhh:

Not sure it the color of paint you choose really lightens up the heep....... :greensmok

...............and where are the rocker guards?

:clap::clap::clap: Very nice Dutch!! You better have six hands and a few weeks off if you intend to make the November run!!! That is a lot to do!!!!:worship: Hope to see ya there!!:cheers:

Drivetrain:
Waggy D44 w/ TNT Truss, 4.56 gears, PowerTrax No-Slip locker, late 70's F150 hubs and brakes, 5x5.5 bolt pattern

Explorer 8.8 w/ TNT Ubolt eliminators, 4.56 gears, PowerTrax No-Slip locker, SpiderTrax 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapter/1.5" spacers

Those spacers will more than make up the difference. I'm no expert on these, but from what I've read I think the waggy front is about 1" wider than stock XJ width and the 8.8 is about an inch shorter than stock XJ width. So with 3" worth of spacers his back may actually be a bit wider than the front.

Is that about right, Dutch?

Yeah, thats pretty much what I figured on the axle width stuff. I should be right about perfectly even or maybe just a hair wider out back.

......aaahhh.............I remember the 3-4 month old days :wierd: ............wait until he can crawl :conceited .......in to EVERYTHING!

.........looks like your friend is doing ALL the pulling? :shhh:

Not sure it the color of paint you choose really lightens up the heep....... :greensmok

...............and where are the rocker guards?
Surprise surprise! HAHA

ok, question answered :D

now for the NEXT question :D On the waggy, do you need to weld on a UCA to it?

Yes I do, luckily this came in today courtesy of TNT.
Day47.jpg

I also got my uniframe stiffners and both lockers.
Day46.jpg

Day4.jpg

Yesterday was kind of a slow day, I got home late from work and didn't have much motivation. I painted the rest of the passenger side and pulled my t-case apart. Then the kid got fussy and w/ both him and the wife sick I had to go play doctor.

Day42.jpg

Day43.jpg

Day44.jpg

Day45.jpg

damn bro its comin along great since i saw it!...nice....hopefully we will both be up and running for november to remember

the build is coming along real nice the only thing i missing is the uni body stifner and long arm but thats on the way..looks good hope see its finished.here is a pic of mine so far.

157q.jpg

Back