• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sources for switched power

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on putting an autodim mirror in my one of my friends XJ. I need a source for switched power. It will be very low voltage since it really only powers an LED. Trying to brainstorm, I looked through Alldata but couldn't really figure out the best circuit to tap into. We also tried just pushing a terminal into the ACC spot on the fusebox which used to work, but now apparently doesn't. I don't know if that's a fusible link problem or what. In the past when I have installed these mirrors before I've tapped into the overhead console wiring, but his doesn't have one. I've also heard of people tapping into like the TCU feed line but I'd rather not do that. Does anyone have any suggestions on possible sources or why the ACC fuse box spot isn't working? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Collin

doesw it have light up mirrors on the visors. Tap into them if it does.

xjjeepthing said:
doesw it have light up mirrors on the visors. Tap into them if it does.
Yes but they can be on whether there's ignition or not.

jneary said:
can you run it off the ignition switch
Hmm...I suppose I could, just tap into one of the larger wires?

Thanks for the suggestions fellas and if anyone else has any other circuits I could try, let me know.
-Collin

you could tap into some of the circuts on the dash. I run my CB off of the cig lighter. I have also tapped into the factory radio wiring to run the dash clock that I got from a junkyard.

Most all of the solid yellow wires are switched current (hot with the ignition on) in the earlier XJ's.

BIGSLVRXJ said:
Yes but they can be on whether there's ignition or not.

Hmm...I suppose I could, just tap into one of the larger wires?

Thanks for the suggestions fellas and if anyone else has any other circuits I could try, let me know.
-Collin

One of the main ignition wires that is only hot when the key is "on" is a blue wire, thicker in size. You'll need a test light or meter to find this wire though, although it will be blue...

Well we ended up figuring it out. For some reason in 87 there is a purple wire coming out of 1 accessory spot in the fusebox that was switched. We tapped into that and voila! it worked. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back