• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM tow hook brackets

Rescue xj

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been pb blasting my brackets for the last 3 days, theyve been wire wheeled and are ready for paint. Ill rattle can them, then mount them. Anyone have any helpful tips for installing these things? Im pulling off the bumper mounts, then putting the brackets onto the bumper, then installing the L brackets, then the bumpermount/hook brackets, then the brackets that go to the crossmember. Oh and Ive never had a problem taking anything off the underside of the jeep, no reason to pb blast any nuts.

you're going to want to take out the mat inside the front of the fenderwell. It makes it much easier to get at the bolts and nuts. Everything it pretty tight in there and some of the holes are blind from one side. There will be some cursing involved putting it back together, but it's not a horrible job. It's much easier if you have someone to help you hold and adjust the bumper while you're under there trying to get bolts into the right places. I did it by myself with some jackstand and it was PITA, took me about an hour to get them all back in place.

Wonderful, a big Mahalo for the advice. What are the problems with removing the plastic inner fender and line-xing the unibody, and rinsing off the vaccum bottle and horns after wheeling?

my brothers not had the plastic/rubber things since he ditched the stock front bumper. Most people get rid of them I think. I found all sorts of mud that was sitting up there, and trimmed mine so they couldn't hold water/mud up front. You'll see what I mean when you get under there, where some glasses, all sorts of things fell out from mine.

Ok, they are a PITA to wash all of the sand from under, I constantly get stuff out of em, even if I havent been off the roads in a number of weeks.

One of the bolts for the bumper mount goes through the front panel, and hits a block/spacer for the steering gear. The block comes out (one bolt), then goes back in after the bumper mount bolt is in place. On mine, this caused some agravation to figure out, since visibilty of the parts is not great.

It would be the steering gear, not the pump, you unbolt, but before getting too far ahead of yourself I'd check where all the bolts go, and see if it's really necessary for the set you have. The set illustrated above is not the OEM one, and might differ a little.

When I put used tow hook brackets on my 95 I had just the basic brackets without the reinforcing angle pieces or the bottom braces. I figured they would be good enough to keep from tearing the unibody apart even if they bent in use (I never needed them anyway). I certainly didn't have to take the steering gear off to install that part.

Yeah Ive got the oem ones, and they seem to go on fine. the left side went up without a hitch, the right side I put the L bracket on backwards, then said screw it and came in to work. Ill rotate it and finish the job when I throw it on the rack this afternoon, Ill use air tools and save time.

Rescue xj said:
Yeah Ive got the oem ones, and they seem to go on fine. the left side went up without a hitch, the right side I put the L bracket on backwards, then said screw it and came in to work. Ill rotate it and finish the job when I throw it on the rack this afternoon, Ill use air tools and save time.

Remember anti-seize all those bolts if you plan on taking that stuff off again like to add a real bumper...

So how did it finish up ? Did the directions help?

Last edited:
I just lined em up and bolted em together. The passenger side sits lower than the driver side, Im assuming there was trail damadge. Remember they came off another XJ. The instructions gave me an idea of what I was going to do, mahalo. Air tools saved me frustration and arm shake breaks. My jeep now has fangs.

Back