• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Classic - Intermittent Cruise Control Issue - Switch?

rwmtn80y

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks - searched quite a bit, and not finding my symptoms.

99xj, cruise works intermittently. Sometimes light comes on, system works. Sometimes light comes on, won't set. Sometimes light won't come on at all. Based on those symptoms, I'm thinking switch.

So two part question:

1. Do folks agree with my diagnosis?
2. If so, is there any way to clean the switches, or is it a replace situation?

It does work and holds steady speed when it does, so I don't think vacuum leak, and I don't have the classic horn/airbag/cruise combo of clock spring - although if I have it all the way apart I might replace the clock spring on principle.

Is there anywhere to buy the cruise switches?

Thank you!

The On/Off/Set one is available at Napa. Can't find the one on the right there though. Not Cheap. To much to spend without being sure it is bad.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHCC122?searchCategory=15.4&searchIndex=App

Thinking boneyard would be a better bet. Just make sure that the switches are from a '99 to '01. I installed cruise in my '00 that did not come with it. Research indicated that switches from a '97 or '98 would not work. Think is said something about ohms.

May be way off base since I don't own a 97 up XJ. But I believe intermittently working cruise can be a bad clock spring. As I under stand it the circuit goes through the clock spring, if you replace it you've got to be sure you get the right one (year and with cruise)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most likely your clock spring has problems. It's pretty easy to take apart and repair though. I repaired mine with some conductive paint in the places where I could see them ribbon had damage. I think it's a pretty expensive part to replace, so it's worth trying to fix it yourself first.

Clock spring and/or failing brake switch.

My 96 was doing this and it turned out to be the contacts at the connector where the clockspring connects to the steering wheel harness. I cleaned the contacts and bent a bit more tension into them and it's been fine since.

My 96 was doing this and it turned out to be the contacts at the connector where the clockspring connects to the steering wheel harness. I cleaned the contacts and bent a bit more tension into them and it's been fine since.

My '96 is doing this...

Perzactly where is this particular connector and what all needs to be removed in order to access it? Steering wheel off?

My '96 is doing this...

Perzactly where is this particular connector and what all needs to be removed in order to access it? Steering wheel off?

The pigtail/connector that comes out of the clock spring facing the driver and connects to the cruise switch. You'll have to remove the switch, which if I remember correctly requires removal of the airbag, but not the wheel. In order to re-tension the connector you're going to have to remove the contacts from the connector by gently depressing the lock tab and pulling them out. Then, using a pin, get under the springy part inside and gently bend it up a little to make it squeeze harder on the switch pin. Finally, re-insert the contacts into the connector housing (in their original bays, of course), and reassemble.

Similarly, one could also perform this procedure to the connector coming from the column into the clock spring. I believe that only the clamshell covers would have to be removed to access this one.

Jason

I hesitate to say it's "fixed", but I took it apart to the clock spring and cleaned contacts/bent contacts, in the switches and in the pigtails and it appears to be resolved. If problem returns, I will replace the clock spring.

Back