• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the term for this?

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User

The item I'm referring to is marked with the blue arrow.

I've always called this the "kick down cable" but all of my searches for that have come up fruitless. I noticed that the cable is beginning to fray at the throttle body end, right where it comes out of the sheathing, so I'd like to replace it before it becomes a problem. I know I must be using the wrong term. Something like this can't possibly be unavailable. :dunno:

GM calls it a TV cable. It is known as a kickdown cable every where else. It may also be called a transmission throttle cable according to this site:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/Transmission_Throttle_Cable_Replacement.htm

I think you've got a solution looking for a problem. I've never seen someone replace one of those.

Thanks for the quick reply.

As far as replacing it, almost half of the strands in the cable are broken, I think they got messed up when I had the engine apart to do the reman head. If it were only a few strands I'd probably let it slide. They've begun to fan out and are limiting travel because they hit the end of the sheathing when the throttle is released. I'm coming up on a trans service so I'll have the pan off anyway. If I'm gonna be in there I might as well do it. My luck, if I let it go it'll snap completely two days after I do the service. :laugh:

As far as replacing it, almost half of the strands in the cable are broken. If I'm gonna be in there I might as well do it. My luck, if I let it go it'll snap completely two days after I do the service. :laugh:

A few years ago, my 97 XJ had the same problem, a badly frayed cable.
Changing it wasn't too hard to do, except for taking the pan and dipstick off.
The trans needed an oil and filter change anyway.

Back