• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why is this exhaust pipe crushed?

wheelin99s

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in a new header and I noticed the pipe right below the collector is all smashed in so I was going to buy a new one but all the ones I found are also bent in like that. Must be some sort of factory clearance thing??

Anyone know why this is??

When you flex the suspension, the yoke on the driveshaft can hit the exhaust. It is there for clearance.

I've heard differing theories as to why, but they all have it. I originally heated mine and pushed it back out with a pry bar. Now it's gone, I just finished a 304 SS section to replace it.

Is that an APN header? If so watch out, I have one and had to do some grinding on the intake manifold due to interference issues.

Jason

I would have just beat that out with a hammer myself.
but to each their own.

One reason it could be crushed.
maybe its just the camera angle. but the motor mounts look shot.
unless its just camera.
if they are replace both right and left. and transmission mount at same time. or be prepared to do it again.
One torn puts more pressure on the other ones..

The smart thing to do. Which I am looking into doing myself right now. are buying solid motor mounts.
like brown dog.

or making your own.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/diy-heavy-duty-motor-mounts-229358/

Last edited:
I run ironman4x4fab motor mounts, and I never had a fitment issue with the APN header, they supposedly updated it a few years ago. but ive been wanting to get a new pipe made to replace that one

This issue has been addressed many times. Look back and you will find a link where they put an engine on a dyno and proceeded to put big dents in the tubes and got virtually zero change in HP.

It was put there to slow down the exhaust, heat it up, so the cat started working sooner in the emissions drive cycle.

It was disguised as clearance for the driveshaft. They could have routed it differently and not had the "D" crush in it.

straight from an emissions engineer at Jeep.....

Back