• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C issues - Dryer?

Packman

NAXJA Forum User
About a year ago I was getting my A/C fixed from a shop, and they replaced just about everything A/C related in the engine bay, including the compressor and accumulator.

After that was done, it blew cold for a day or two, then went back to normal air. The shop told me they thought the dryer probably needed to be replaced next, but that on top of everything else was going to be a bit too expensive for me at that time.

Now I'm trying to get it fixed again, and I'm 3000 miles away from the auto shop that tried to fix it last year. If it is the dryer, does anyone have replacement instructions? How much would you expect a shop to charge to replace it and recharge the system?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

It's not terribly hard to replace, should be on the frame below the ac compressor, or in this area.

Sounds to me like the freon leaked out or the compressor stoped engaging.
There is a pressure switch on top of the accumulator/dryer that can go bad. Not to hard to replace.

The only reason the accumulator should go bad is absorbing too much humidity when the lines are open.
If your freon leaked out you should fix the leak, replace the dryer and vacuum the system down before recharging with freon.

But you need to know if your ac compressor is engaging when the ac is on.
Another test is to turn the compressor clutch by hand with the engine off and cool to the touch to make sure the compressor isn't seized up.

After you know this you can move on to other tests.

If it lost all the freon in two days you have a major leak which may be the evaporator located in the dash. Because of the work to replace it This would be the worst case scenario next to a bad compressor. Actually the compressor my be worse because you'd need to clean out the metal shavings from the self destruction.

Be careful testing, last year someone trying to follow instructions here ended up killing the compressor by overcharging the freon I think it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When a compressor self destructs and is replaced you need to blow out the condenser, evaporator and replace the accumulator/drier. Once the bad component is replaced; you put the system into a vacuum of around 250 microns which will flash the moisture from the system for at least 30 minutes. Once you are sure the system is tight; the shop would add a trace amount of nitrogen to the system to dry it out further then put the system in a vacuum again and charge with the factory recommended amount of refrigerant.

The accumulator and drier are the same thing. The shop should have replaced it when they opened up your lines. Before doing anything make sure the clutch is engaging and either get a set of gauges and check or have a shop check your freon levels. Like others have said, you may have a leak.

Why I hate shops. After hundreds of dollars the air quits in two days, they should have had him bring the jeep back.
My gut feeling is something like the evaporator is at fault, but dozens of things can cause the fail checking it out one at a time is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back