• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Developing an epoxy paint.

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
How about a paint that is better than POR 15 and is alot more flexible? We are developing it for use in the automotive industry. No prep work needed, no primers and it kills rust. What my question to you guys is, how many of you would would actualy use something like this? The cost is going to be roughly $45 per gallon. Let me know.

Epoxy paint

Will this be similar to what we use on aircraft? I hope it will come in other colors besides "primer green".:D Would this be a one shot application then. Will this be spray only and will there be any environmental issues? Like to hear more.:)

Personally I think POR has just the right amount of flexibility while still being so hard that those not in the know thinks its powder coating. What I would like to see, is POR that is not UV sensative and not clumpy, dries quicker and in more colors.

XJguy

How does it compare to the industrial coatings manufacturered by Belzona Corporation (www.belzona.com)?

If your product can be certified for usage the same as some of the Belzona products the price is an advantage.

$45/gallon isn't a whole lot more than the good quality automotive 2-part polyurethanes, and they don't kill rust.

Heck yeah, I'd use your stuff.

The price may go up when production is started but it will be cheaper than POR-15. It will also be alot better. This is actualy a one part epoxy, not really a paint, but will apply like a paint.

is it spray only or is it thick enough to brush? (for those small parts or touch-up)

also.... are different sheen levels available? I'd be very interested if it was available in a dead-flat black (sheen of 10 degrees or less) non-automotive use, but if it's got the durability of a 2-part-poly, I'd love it :D

is this already available? what's the name of it?
what's the % solids? recommended film thickness? is there a limit to film build? (IE: can it go THICK?)
lastly (I promise) what sort of solvent base? (for thinning and clean-up)

Sean B.

At this point we have two specific products (EE-65 and EE-80).

EE-80 is a highly penetrating pre-primer. Sheen is medium. It goes on about 2 mils currently. We can give it more body to hand thicker if needed, say 2-4 mils. As a pre-primer it is designed to be slow curing to allow for better penetration into substrate for better adhesion. We can alter this to cure faster, if desired. This product is designed to adhere to materials that other products can't get a good bond to.

EE-65 is a rubberized heavy duty version of EE-80. Sheen is low. It goes on at about 10 mils.

Both products are 100% solids, sorry these are two part epoxies. There are no solvents used with these products, so unlike paints or POR-15, ventilation isn't a concern. Acetone can be used for thinning and cleanup.

Wow! I like it! I'd be interested in the EE-65 (maybe EE-80 for the body, and EE-65 for the bumpers etc..). I planned on using PPG's DP primer (such as DP-40) on my whole XJ as the final coat. It is a catalyst primer, 2 part, and seals completely. When I read this, I contemplated your coating instead. I'd be interested in a red, whacha got?

Can it be painted over with a high gloss automotive paint or can I get it in a high gloss application? Sounds perfect for my cage and the interior of the race car that sits outside from time to time in the wonderful midwest humidity.

Sean

Back