• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! 8.25 Adjusters keep backing out!

DaJudge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have an '01 with an 8.25, Detroit Locker 4:56 gears. The adjusters keep backing out. It seems to happen after hard wheeling (not abusive, just alot of sand and slow crawling up hills.) I bought new retainers but it did it again. Anybody have any ideas?

Glen

Frank Z said:
Are you absolutely certain your torquing them to the proper value? The FSM calls for 75Ft.Lbs on each adjuster..
Also isn,t there a lock that bolts on to keep them from turning out.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
Also isn,t there a lock that bolts on to keep them from turning out.
Wayne

Yes, the retainers. The nipple end is supposed to be in one of the small holes on the adjuster nut. The retainer is slotted a bit, for better adjustment to get it lined up. They are bolted to the main caps, one on each side.

The shop that did the 4.56 gearing on my 8.25 a few years back dealt with some factory Chyrsler Rep he deals with periodically, on the same issue. As I recall he had to have the retainer caps ends milled down slightly so they would "hold" the adjuster rings better. How much "slightly" is, I don't recall but is was just a few thousandths. I'd ask the shop owner, but he's is away on vacation right now.

Anyway, just something to throw out there regarding the 8.25....

I will re-check the torque specs. Any other ideas?

Ivan, Thanks! If you can find out how much they milled them I would appreciate it! I will ask my brother to see if he can find anything on that! (he works for a Jeep dealer).

Glen

OK! Right side had backed out. I tightened everything back up and re-checked all the torque specs. I put some different retainers on that seemed stronger and made sure they were tight against the slot in the adjuster. If anybody has any more suggestions let me know.

Thanks!

Glen

Anyone with more ideas?

Glen

are the adjusters backing out or are the bearings shot?
if the retainers are in its not going to turn and back up
pull the carrier out and check the bearings and races
also the race might be turning in the housing and causing the adjuster to seem like its backed out
where in nm are you? i have a free xj8.25 in tucson az. 27 spline free to good home. just a thought if the housing is trashed

justin

Got a hold of my shop guy, but he couldn't remember how much he milled off the caps. Keep in mind, this was about 4 years ago... he said he couldn't even remember what he had for breakfast today. ...

The whole point of the cap milling was so that they would hold the adjusters better by clamping down on them a tad more. Maybe just try a couple of thousandths off the caps.....

Anyhoo, the cap milling seemed to have worked for me, as I've haven't had to deal with them since.

bigazxj said:
are the adjusters backing out or are the bearings shot?
if the retainers are in its not going to turn and back up
pull the carrier out and check the bearings and races
also the race might be turning in the housing and causing the adjuster to seem like its backed out
where in nm are you? i have a free xj8.25 in tucson az. 27 spline free to good home. just a thought if the housing is trashed

justin

I can actually turn the adjuster. When I tighten it back up everything lines back up and the pattern is back where it was on the initial install. Would a bad bearing or race cause that?

Glen

DaJudge said:
I can actually turn the adjuster. When I tighten it back up everything lines back up and the pattern is back where it was on the initial install. Would a bad bearing or race cause that?

Glen

thats real strange
the milling the cap idea seems good
ive built plenty on 8.25s at the dealer and never had this problem
is it both adjusers?
id still check the bearings and races.

justin

First time it was the left one. This time it was the right one. The bearings were new with the locker and gears last June. I am puzzled!

Glen

Frank Z said:
Any chance you got the caps on the wrong side?

I don't think so. I was pretty careful to keep everything seperated. Is there some identifying mark on them I could check?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Glen

Back