• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky Doors - How to eliminate

jccj7

NAXJA Forum User
Hi - I'm sure a stupid question for some, but how do I eliminate squeaks from opening and closing? Besides the common, hight-pitch squeaks, I also get like a clunking/rubbing sound that adds to the mix.

Yes - I've tried to applie grease and silicon to the hinges, but nothing. Do I need to remove the doors? Is there some special thing that needs adjusting/replaced?

Lastly, could my XJ have been involved in an accident that bent the body prior to me buying it a couple of years ago?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

jc

WD-40.

Grease doesn't usually work very well because you cant get the grease between the squeky parts. WD-40 will find its way into the tightest spots, just spray everything in the area of the hinges.

JohnX said:
WD-40.

Grease doesn't usually work very well because you cant get the grease between the squeky parts. WD-40 will find its way into the tightest spots, just spray everything in the area of the hinges.
Use PB Blaster or some silicon spray-lube instead though...it actually lubricates. Hit the bar that slides into the door and not just the hinges though.

Another likely probablility is that the hinges are breaking; it's not uncommon for the XJ door hinges to start pulling away from the body so they need to be rewelded in place - it's not a small task. Good luck and enjoy...

Yucca-Man said:
Use PB Blaster or some silicon spray-lube instead though...it actually lubricates. Hit the bar that slides into the door and not just the hinges though.

Another likely probablility is that the hinges are breaking; it's not uncommon for the XJ door hinges to start pulling away from the body so they need to be rewelded in place - it's not a small task. Good luck and enjoy...
Not to burst your bubble, but wd-40 is a lubricant also. If you do it every 3000 miles when you change oil, your hinges will last forever. At my shop, we have been doing this for over 20 years...wanna guess how many hinges I have had to change in the last 5 years? Zero.

Not that there is anything wrong with silicon or PB blaster, but most people already have some wd-40, or know where to get it easily.

:):):):)

That bar doohicke that holds the door open is probably what's making the noise. Dab some light grease on the slider part of it and it should quiet down some. If you don't keep the hinges oiled they will give you some trouble when the doors start sagging, but they aren't particularly noisy.

JohnX said:
Not to burst your bubble, but wd-40 is a lubricant also. /QUOTE]

It's a pretty crappy lubricant that dries up into a gummy mess. Besides it smells like rotten fish. PB Blaster isn't really intended as a lubricant either, but at least it has a nice orangy smell. I vote for a silicon based lubricant.

I use a bike chain lube called white lighting. it works great as a light lubricant and resists gumming up and collecting dirt. white lighting also make a spray cleaner. I used this on my 93 cherokee with excellent results. This lube also works well in the door latches, it helps to reduce the resistance that hinders electric door lock selenoids. all my door open and close like new now.

Paul

There is a small pink cap on top of the hinge pins. They look like they have a hole in them but don't. Pry them off and add a couple drops of good oil like 3 in 1 and put them back on.

I've had good results with two lubes, Mobil-1 spray lube and Royal Purple spray lube, both are synthetics and soak in pretty good. I also use white lithium grease on several areas, usually hood and hood latching mechinisms. A couple of years ago I had the roll pin come out of the latch on the drivers side that holds the door open. I replaced it with another thats just a hair too small, results in it moving up and down, that makes noise when opening and closing due to the spring catch in the door hold open mechinism, makes a popping sound when opening and closing. Just have not gotten around to hitting the parts store for another roll pin...

The drivers side door on my 86 MJ always squeaked but I never worried until the metal guide that the door position bar runs thru pulled out of the body. I just took it off but the door would always slam into the back of my legs. Moral: lube your doors with something regularly!!

Motorcycle chain lube,goes on thin,penetrates and then thickens!

wil4thril said:
The drivers side door on my 86 MJ always squeaked but I never worried until the metal guide that the door position bar runs thru pulled out of the body. I just took it off but the door would always slam into the back of my legs. Moral: lube your doors with something regularly!!
And what will happen next is the door hinge will break off because it is now the door stop.

As per Langer, I used 3&1 oil, that quieted down the hinge,,,well at least until the pin broke and on the keeper I used white lithium grease, WD40 and the such do not last and are just a thin film coating.

WOW!!!! Thanks for all the replies. At least it's good that I had tried some of things suggested in the post as well as areas to lubricate. For awhile there, I thought I was missing something here.

Anyways - I tried the WD-40 approach for now since the grease and silicon approached did not work. Surprisingly, it has worked. Never really thought WD-40 would be a good, sustain lube, but so far so good.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and will consider if I need to try something different.

jc

Back