• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Restoration...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
So my 1992 is 19 years old. It's in pretty good shape overall: No accidents, not cut up, etc.

Anyone else have a clean-ish rig like mine that has considered "restoring" their rig?Are these getting old enough that a bright, fresh, "like-new" rig would be a sight to see?

I have to admit, that when I see 1970's -1980's Subaru's, Honda's, Nissans, etc. that are restored or resto-modded, I tend to get the same feeling that I do when I go to a 50's car show.

I appreciate the attention to detail, and the care that the owner must have taken, etc. I also love that I'm seeing a car that looks as new as it must have on the car lots in say 1980. (In contrast, I don't really have the same feeling about something like a 1990 grand caravan, or a 1990 4runner. Nothing against those cars, just not cars I'd consider putting the time and effort into restoring)

Wondering if anyone has this same type of thought with their XJ or if most simply consider them an cheap, honest old car, but not quite a "classic" or "vintage" car.

Thanks.

p.s. Just to be clear, have no interest in the perceived monetary value of my rig. Not looking to restore and "flip" my rig. If I did any kind of restoration, it would be with the understanding that I'd be putting more into the rig than what I'd probably EVER be able to get out of it money-wise.

I've been re-doing my '92 over the last four years, mostly as a hobby, to see what I can come up with. It's turned into a project with my son, and we each took night classes at the local vo-tec, mostly to learn welding and structural body repair techniques. I'd had an accident with it in Jan. of '07, and it was replaced, so we had nothing to lose. Mechanically, it still runs great, with almost 204k on the clock, so all of our efforts were body/cosmetic/rust repair. We've since started loading it with as many options as we can, like the the funky bronze tinted early Limited dark windows, power driver seat, rocking chair passenger seat, late model rear-view mirrors console and headliner. Coming soon, power windows (it was a stripper Sport). Like any project, it will probably never be complete, but it is a dependable second vehicle, and it does draw some attention.

I say go for it, as there are worse ways to spend your time and money.

000_1278.jpg

WOW, that's a slick lookin' jeep!

And thanks for your perspective. I appreciate it.

I've been re-doing my '92 over the last four years, mostly as a hobby, to see what I can come up with. It's turned into a project with my son, and we each took night classes at the local vo-tec, mostly to learn welding and structural body repair techniques. I'd had an accident with it in Jan. of '07, and it was replaced, so we had nothing to lose. Mechanically, it still runs great, with almost 204k on the clock, so all of our efforts were body/cosmetic/rust repair. We've since started loading it with as many options as we can, like the the funky bronze tinted early Limited dark windows, power driver seat, rocking chair passenger seat, late model rear-view mirrors console and headliner. Coming soon, power windows (it was a stripper Sport). Like any project, it will probably never be complete, but it is a dependable second vehicle, and it does draw some attention.

I say go for it, as there are worse ways to spend your time and money.

xjtrailrider has a beautiful Renix XJ that his dad bought. The XJ was sold off and later he found it is a haggard condition. He made it look new again.

xjtrailrider has a beautiful Renix XJ that his dad bought. The XJ was sold off and later he found it is a haggard condition. He made it look new again.

If that is his black and silver rig, I've seen pics: :loveu:

VERY nice.

If I remember correctly, didn't he put some serious coin into the paint job? I remember it having some serious shine quality.

Here's an older picture of mine it looks a little different now. I like things restored but with modern upgrades or modified with a factory built sort of look.

Keep in mind that once you restore a cherokee you can never sell it. It doesn't matter how much money you waste it will never be worth anything. But unlike a classic car parts are cheap and plentiful.

2imag0015.jpg

I wouldn't mind doing that with my XJ even though it's only a '98, although I'd go more for the "RestoRod" style, maybe something like UrbanYan has done with his, only leave the standard headlights and front side markers instead of the Stiff Nipple headlights euro sidemarkers.

Its still common to see very nice renix era jeeps in this area. I love all the chrome on them, seems that gets more rare as the ho era rolls out. Chrome doesn't even belong on the 97+ lol.

Its still common to see very nice renix era jeeps in this area. I love all the chrome on them, seems that gets more rare as the ho era rolls out. Chrome doesn't even belong on the 97+ lol.

It's true, I sometimes miss the chrome on my 1992. (painted it black for a murdered out look)

Thanks for all the responses. I put a lot of time and effort into the drivetrain, and I think it's time to put some of that effort into refreshing and personalizing some of the little things. ( replacing the outer window sweeps, removing the corrogated panels on the bottom of the doors, etc.

When I take my '96 ZJ off the road I am thinking about doing that. Won't take a lot. It is pretty clean as it is with 206xxx on it. Just a lot of little things that need attention.

Thanks Ed!

I would do it all over again, I love this XJ. Its a 90 and drives/looks like it just rolled out of Toledo, maybe even better!

We are doing a 89 MJ right now.

P1020698.jpg

Wow, other than wheels, it looks like it could have been the twin to the '90 Dad scrapped last summer!.

It came with Turbines, I have the originals in my shed along with 3 other sets. I might get a set of them restored some day and run them but for now i really like the Canyons and how easy it is to clean them.

Watching the Mecham Auto auction on HD network last night and they had a 70s something Ford Maverick roll across the line that had been totally restored. It went for 5K. I told my wife, I bet they spent five times that doing the restoration...what is the point?

Guess the same logic applies here. It must all be about love. Sort of like loving an ugly child.

Watching the Mecham Auto auction on HD network last night and they had a 70s something Ford Maverick roll across the line that had been totally restored. It went for 5K. I told my wife, I bet they spent five times that doing the restoration...what is the point?

Guess the same logic applies here. It must all be about love. Sort of like loving an ugly child.

Haha! Thats funny!

And I appreciate the perspective!

I plan on doing a restomod on my MJ. The body is in unbelievable shape for an 86 but it has the 2.8 in it and it has some spun rod bearings so its gonna get Chevy power again in the form of a tuned port 350/700r4/231eventually. Its not costing me anything so i'll hang on to it and get to it eventually.

That's the fun of the car hobby, it supports all interests from Drivers to full blown numbers matching Restoration freaks. The good thing about doing a late model machine is that you can get most factory parts for it ( If you want to that far with the restoration ).

-Ron

Back