NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old October 6th, 2018, 19:35
azupcountry's Avatar
azupcountry azupcountry is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 16
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Been looking at OPL radiators. Seem to have good reviews/build quality. Made in USA. Good price on Amazon. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...OMY5MIU8&psc=1

https://www.facebook.com/OPLautoparts1/
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 7th, 2018, 06:11
devildog0's Avatar
devildog0 devildog0 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hunt County Texas
Posts: 728
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

I had excellent luck with the later model OEM single core HD radiator. It's just a thick single core instead of 2 or 3 cores. It was on a largely stock Jeep but still keept the Jeep cool even in the Summer out in the desert of SOCAL with the AC on.
__________________
1995 XJ Country/4.0L/AW4/231/UpCountry Suspension
2004 Suzuki DL650 VStrom/1978 Suzuki GS1000E/2003 Yamaha TW200
1982 Suzuki GS850G (barnfind project)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 7th, 2018, 19:23
98xjaz 98xjaz is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 12
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Any idea how hard it would be to have an -AN 6 male adaptor soldered onto the trans cooler inlet on that Mishimoto? I recently replaced the entire cooling system on my 98 with a stock style radiator and added an external trans cooler, gauge, and spin on filter. In the process, I switched most of my quick disconnects to -AN 6. I am still getting a little hot for comfort in the city (it's also Arizona so there is that) so I was thinking something better than the stock radiator is in order.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old October 7th, 2018, 21:20
RCP Phx RCP Phx is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 12,610
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98xjaz View Post
Any idea how hard it would be to have an -AN 6 male adaptor soldered onto the trans cooler inlet on that Mishimoto? I recently replaced the entire cooling system on my 98 with a stock style radiator and added an external trans cooler, gauge, and spin on filter. In the process, I switched most of my quick disconnects to -AN 6. I am still getting a little hot for comfort in the city (it's also Arizona so there is that) so I was thinking something better than the stock radiator is in order.
There is a AN fitting just for that.......see post#10
https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1148286
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old October 12th, 2018, 16:32
MickeyS MickeyS is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 61
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

I just got my mishimoto all aluminum installed. Temps are great for the most part. Iím idling perfectly. My old mopar was hitting 220 at idle and Iím lucky if I can sit for 10 minutes with the ac on and hit 212. Cool! Butó



this little plug is leaking. Itís above the lower road hose and below the fill neck. Just noticed it right now and had to leave the house and will be away this weekend. Iíve lost a good amount of coolant just from this little plug over the past couple days. I had it installed at a mechanic. Is this a threaded plug that I can just screw in to tighten? Hijacking the thread a bit just donít want to clutter the forum and this is kind of relevant.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old October 14th, 2018, 07:23
MickeyS MickeyS is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 61
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

looked at the docs this morning and it appears to be a temp sensor port for older cherokees, with a plug in it for newer cherokees that use the thermostat housing for temp sensor. was really difficult to tie down without taking out the efan again, so i did, and used a big channel lock to tie it down real good. think the leak it gone. but it did take some muscle to tighten the plug and eliminate leaking. i'm worried this will eventually begin leaking again if road and trail vibration loosens it again.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old October 14th, 2018, 07:32
RCP Phx RCP Phx is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 12,610
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
looked at the docs this morning and it appears to be a temp sensor port for older cherokees, with a plug in it for newer cherokees that use the thermostat housing for temp sensor. was really difficult to tie down without taking out the efan again, so i did, and used a big channel lock to tie it down real good. think the leak it gone. but it did take some muscle to tighten the plug and eliminate leaking. i'm worried this will eventually begin leaking again if road and trail vibration loosens it again.
You should have at least pulled if out for inspection and then re-sealed it.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old October 14th, 2018, 10:30
cal's Avatar
cal cal is offline
NAXJA Warranty Voider
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hammertown, USA
Posts: 17,409
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

I wouldn't worry too much about it leaking in the future. If it does, just pull it, throw some locktite in it and reseal.
__________________
I'm not a complete idiot - there are parts missing.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old October 14th, 2018, 12:57
chasdb's Avatar
chasdb chasdb is offline
NAXJA Member 3643
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fullerton, Ca
Posts: 441
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

I put one a few days before heading to the Moab 35th Anniversary run. I have had CSF, and just replaced a Champion that I had no issues with. I wanted more cooling capacity since I was pulling a trailer with extra gear for the misses and kiddo and running one of Russ' deluxe strokers. I should have weighed it at the scale but didn't make the time. I have installed Mishimoto radiators, aftercoolers and oil coolers in Kawasaki Loaders and Link-Belt Excavators as they are OEM and have been consistently impressed with their quality.

My initial impression of the build was an improvement over the Champion but would hope so at 2x the price. Fit was off a bit, but was within adjustment of factory radiator support/ header mount. Just seemed torqued over to driver's side compared to how the Champion radiator was installed. I was a bit irritated with the A/C condenser brackets and lack of nuts since I was on a time crunch. I ended up cutting and drilling some 14g sheet metal brackets with proper size holes so I wouldn't have to use fender washers. I wish the cap was standard size, now I will need to get another adapter to pressure test my cooling system. Speaking of pressure, since it runs at a higher pressure I see coolant weeping at the factory spring clamps and will have to change them out. The threads on the neck for the overflow nipple ended up galling and had to be chased with a tap and die on the nipple to save them. I'm not sure if there was a burr or what, but was happy I didn't have to go to an oversize hole or something else.

Performance, ambient temps were 80 or less, so no where near extreme but had several long grades to climb and had no issues. Between higher cap pressure and greater cooling capacity it definitely ran cooler than experienced previously especially with the trailer. Coolant temps on oem gauge indicated 215 max. I did change from the conventional ethylene glycol based coolant to a OAT coolant after several coolant flushes. I would guess weight of loaded trailer/ gear at 1800 lbs. So far, I do like it.


__________________
'00XJ Mall Krawler Edition Russ Pottenger 4.7Stroker,241OR, Rock Krawler aluminum 3 link, D44hp Yukon air zip, D44 35 spline axles locked by RWKHaus. Stiffners, and brackets by Ruffstuff. High steer-Parts Mike. T&J, fenders+ cage. Bilstein 7100, 35 KM2, OMF Beadlocks, PAC coils, Deaver G9leafs, BrownDog mounts, Currie antirock, PSC hydro
my build
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old October 14th, 2018, 17:48
cal's Avatar
cal cal is offline
NAXJA Warranty Voider
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hammertown, USA
Posts: 17,409
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Interesting. I experienced the same problem with the top mounts being about 1/8-3/16 too far to one side and had to really push to get it all together.

I'll bring this up with them. We're talking about the issues I came across too.
__________________
I'm not a complete idiot - there are parts missing.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old October 14th, 2018, 17:48
cal's Avatar
cal cal is offline
NAXJA Warranty Voider
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hammertown, USA
Posts: 17,409
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

If you find the right adapter for the pressure tester let me know - I need to get one as well.
__________________
I'm not a complete idiot - there are parts missing.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:00
Mishimoto Mishimoto is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: DE
Posts: 23
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
this little plug is leaking. Itís above the lower road hose and below the fill neck. Just noticed it right now and had to leave the house and will be away this weekend. Iíve lost a good amount of coolant just from this little plug over the past couple days. I had it installed at a mechanic. Is this a threaded plug that I can just screw in to tighten? Hijacking the thread a bit just donít want to clutter the forum and this is kind of relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
looked at the docs this morning and it appears to be a temp sensor port for older cherokees, with a plug in it for newer cherokees that use the thermostat housing for temp sensor. was really difficult to tie down without taking out the efan again, so i did, and used a big channel lock to tie it down real good. think the leak it gone. but it did take some muscle to tighten the plug and eliminate leaking. i'm worried this will eventually begin leaking again if road and trail vibration loosens it again.
Hey MickeyS,

That plug has an O-ring seal so it should be good with just being tightened down. It was likely just a little under-tightened from the factory; we typically recommend giving the fittings on our rads a check at install. If it isn't leaking now, you should be good, but just let me know if it starts leaking again and we'll get you taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdb View Post
My initial impression of the build was an improvement over the Champion but would hope so at 2x the price. Fit was off a bit, but was within adjustment of factory radiator support/ header mount. Just seemed torqued over to driver's side compared to how the Champion radiator was installed. I was a bit irritated with the A/C condenser brackets and lack of nuts since I was on a time crunch. I ended up cutting and drilling some 14g sheet metal brackets with proper size holes so I wouldn't have to use fender washers. I wish the cap was standard size, now I will need to get another adapter to pressure test my cooling system. Speaking of pressure, since it runs at a higher pressure I see coolant weeping at the factory spring clamps and will have to change them out. The threads on the neck for the overflow nipple ended up galling and had to be chased with a tap and die on the nipple to save them. I'm not sure if there was a burr or what, but was happy I didn't have to go to an oversize hole or something else.

Performance, ambient temps were 80 or less, so no where near extreme but had several long grades to climb and had no issues. Between higher cap pressure and greater cooling capacity it definitely ran cooler than experienced previously especially with the trailer. Coolant temps on oem gauge indicated 215 max. I did change from the conventional ethylene glycol based coolant to a OAT coolant after several coolant flushes. I would guess weight of loaded trailer/ gear at 1800 lbs. So far, I do like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Interesting. I experienced the same problem with the top mounts being about 1/8-3/16 too far to one side and had to really push to get it all together.

I'll bring this up with them. We're talking about the issues I came across too.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll be sure to pass this on to our engineering team and make sure QC is aware. Chasdb were the holes on your A/C condenser brackets too big? We slotted the holes on the brackets to allow for some variation in the front end of the truck, as we had a few XJ's in during development and they each had different clearance in the front. I am glad to hear that it's performing well though!

Thanks again,
-Steve
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old October 16th, 2018, 05:45
LLLux31 LLLux31 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdb View Post
I put one a few days before heading to the Moab 35th Anniversary run. I have had CSF, and just replaced a Champion that I had no issues with. I wanted more cooling capacity since I was pulling a trailer with extra gear for the misses and kiddo and running one of Russ' deluxe strokers. I should have weighed it at the scale but didn't make the time. I have installed Mishimoto radiators, aftercoolers and oil coolers in Kawasaki Loaders and Link-Belt Excavators as they are OEM and have been consistently impressed with their quality.

My initial impression of the build was an improvement over the Champion but would hope so at 2x the price. Fit was off a bit, but was within adjustment of factory radiator support/ header mount. Just seemed torqued over to driver's side compared to how the Champion radiator was installed. I was a bit irritated with the A/C condenser brackets and lack of nuts since I was on a time crunch. I ended up cutting and drilling some 14g sheet metal brackets with proper size holes so I wouldn't have to use fender washers. I wish the cap was standard size, now I will need to get another adapter to pressure test my cooling system. Speaking of pressure, since it runs at a higher pressure I see coolant weeping at the factory spring clamps and will have to change them out. The threads on the neck for the overflow nipple ended up galling and had to be chased with a tap and die on the nipple to save them. I'm not sure if there was a burr or what, but was happy I didn't have to go to an oversize hole or something else.

Performance, ambient temps were 80 or less, so no where near extreme but had several long grades to climb and had no issues. Between higher cap pressure and greater cooling capacity it definitely ran cooler than experienced previously especially with the trailer. Coolant temps on oem gauge indicated 215 max. I did change from the conventional ethylene glycol based coolant to a OAT coolant after several coolant flushes. I would guess weight of loaded trailer/ gear at 1800 lbs. So far, I do like it.


What's the benefit of switching to OAT vs Ethylene Glycol or even a HOAT coolant?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old October 16th, 2018, 07:51
chris420 chris420 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Posts: 702
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

I have a Napa autoparts Spectra it seems to work good just took it through the rubicon and a few other trails no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old October 16th, 2018, 19:46
chasdb's Avatar
chasdb chasdb is offline
NAXJA Member 3643
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fullerton, Ca
Posts: 441
Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLux31 View Post
What's the benefit of switching to OAT vs Ethylene Glycol or even a HOAT coolant?
Silicate drop out. Ethylene or Propylene Glycol has a two year shelf life from the date of manufacture. There is a date code on the bottle. When the coolant is spent, it degrades and the corrosion inhibitors can contribute to
cooling problems by plugging cores and preventing heat transfer.

OAT and Hoat have a 5 year shelf life, I haven't seen any issues with them yet and cooling systems look pretty darn clean.
__________________
'00XJ Mall Krawler Edition Russ Pottenger 4.7Stroker,241OR, Rock Krawler aluminum 3 link, D44hp Yukon air zip, D44 35 spline axles locked by RWKHaus. Stiffners, and brackets by Ruffstuff. High steer-Parts Mike. T&J, fenders+ cage. Bilstein 7100, 35 KM2, OMF Beadlocks, PAC coils, Deaver G9leafs, BrownDog mounts, Currie antirock, PSC hydro
my build
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what do you do with your old radiators? austinaubinoe Non-Tech / Off Topic 14 September 30th, 2010 05:57
Radiators.....which is best? sprngfldxj Modified Tech Discussion 6 April 18th, 2008 14:36
Custom Aluminum Radiators - A review BlueCrusader Modified Tech Discussion 5 May 14th, 2006 17:55
Radiators Silent Modified Tech Discussion 15 April 1st, 2005 14:49
Radiators family XJ Modified Tech Discussion 3 August 2nd, 2004 07:45


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014