• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 locker question

Lanser1999

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have a 2001 xj with an auto trans and I believe a 231 transfer case. I’m looking to lock one axle currently but the jeep is driven in Wisconsin winter and freeway driving. I would like a selectable locker but can’t find myself to spend the money on it currently. With that being said I would like to lock the front but need to know a couple things. First off, if I throw a lunch box locker in the front (no disconnect) will it still drive normal in 2WD or will it still drive like it’s locked considering the front driveshaft spins in 2WD? Also, is one brand of lunch box locker superior to the others as far as durability and noise?

In normal driving you won’t notice a front autolocker in 2wd. I have an Aussie that’s been in two Jeeps and three axles. I’ve been told the no-slip is the quietest.

A PowerTrax No-Slip auto locker in the rear axle of my 2000 XJ behaves almost exactly like the Limited Slip it replaced. Front axle auto-lockers suck in winter on icy/snowy roads. Most members of my local Minnesota 4x4 club remove their front LockRight type Lunchbox Locker for winter daily driving, and re-install it in the spring due to some obnoxious behaviors on pavement during icy/snowy weather.

If you are positive you want a front axle traction device, a TrueTrac Limited Slip would be your best option.

I prefer a rear axle traction device for Minnesota winter daily driving, and for 4x4 trips to the North Woods and Moab. This provides lots of predicable traction and almost no odd behaviors form either the locker, or the Jeep.

Last edited:
A PowerTrax No-Slip auto locker in the rear axle of my 2000 XJ behaves almost exactly like the Limited Slip it replaced. The front axle auto-lockers suck in winter on icy/snowy roads. Most members of my local Minnesota 4x4 club remove their front LockRight type Lunchbox Locker for winter daily driving, and re-install it in the spring due to some obnoxious behaviors on pavement during icy/snowy weather.

If you are positive you want a front axle traction device, a TrueTrac Limited Slip would be your best option.

I prefer a rear axle traction device for Minnesota winter daily driving, and for 4x4 trips to the North Woods and Moab. This provides lots of predicable traction and almost no odd behaviors form either the locker, or the Jeep.

this or drop the coin on selectable front.

The beauty of a lunchbox type locker is the reasonable price, and that you can yank it out and go back to an open differential in a few hours if you don't like it. They are an excellent way to dip your toes in the water for lockers before you commit big money to a selectable locker.

The beauty of a lunchbox type locker is the reasonable price, and that you can yank it out and go back to an open differential in a few hours if you don't like it. They are an excellent way to dip your toes in the water for lockers before you commit big money to a selectable locker.

true, but after seeing what it can do, most don't.................

Thanks guys. Thinking I’ll go with just a rear for now and get a selectable front eventually. Need to get the IRO long arms before I get a selectable locker.:worship:

i'm rolling lunchboxes in both ends of mine! agree, easy to install/replace if you don't like it.

just test it and get familiar with it once the white stuff shows up.

In normal driving you won’t notice a front autolocker in 2wd. I have an Aussie that’s been in two Jeeps and three axles. I’ve been told the no-slip is the quietest.

I ran LockRights in two prior Jeeps and went with a No-Slip in my current XJ. Love it. Invisible unless at full lock and even then you won't hear it if you have the radio on.

Do some searching around. I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow/ice but I've found opinions on the subject of a front locker in snow/ice go both ways. Some guys love them and run them year round others don't like them in snow/ice. On the plus side if you don't like it you can replace it with the spider gears for winter use in about a hour or two if you have a Lubelocker gasket (highly recommended)

Do some searching around. I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow/ice but I've found opinions on the subject of a front locker in snow/ice go both ways. Some guys love them and run them year round others don't like them in snow/ice. On the plus side if you don't like it you can replace it with the spider gears for winter use in about a hour or two if you have a Lubelocker gasket (highly recommended)

i never had an issue in cold weather conditions. under too much throttle or taking a turn too fast and/or sharp the vehicle will want to under steer and both tires break traction and dont provide any steering input. its pretty simple... slow down or coast around the turn. if the roads are so bad that you need 4wd then you shouldnt really be in a hurry to get anywhere anyways.

i always suggest front lunchbox locker. id rather adjust my driving for the 1% of the time that the weather is bad than the 99% of the time that i drive on the street. chirping tires and "clickity-bang" all the time gets old.

Front Auto-Locker behavior may depend on the brand and model installed. My LockRight D30 locker hates winter weather. On snowy/icy roads It doesn't like to unlock in 4x4, causing under steer and both front tires to break traction. In 2wd when one front tires is on ice/snow and the other tire has more traction and the brakes are applied, it tries to engage, but only partially. I would never let an inexperienced driver use 4wheel drive with a front auto locker equipped 4x4 on snowy, icy pavement due to the handling quirks the auto locker has.

My rear PowerTrax No-Slip auto locker has no clicking or chirping (unless you nail the throttle) and goes bang maybe once a year.

If a person is only going to install only one locker for winter daily driving I recommend a rear locker. If a person is going to install a traction device in the front axle for winter daily driving, I recommend TrueTrac Limited Slip, or a selectable locker. YMMV.

interesting rebuttal. my only experience with a front lunchbox was with an aussie. of course everyones experience and results may vary. its up to the OP to choose what is tolerable.

i will say... that when i installed a lunchbox in the rear, i destroyed it in short order. i dont think a lunchbox in the rear is up for the driveline shock associated with a manual trans.

I run Spartan lunch box on both axles. I can hear the front more than the rear. They both click when turning but nothing bad.

Back