• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More fabricated bumper pictures

To each their own, but I don't care for the way the front bumper looks. The ends stick way out and kill your approach angle. I would at least bend the ends back right after it passes the subframe to increase your approach angle near the tires while still protecting the front end.

It will be functional, but there really isnt much fabrication goin on there. Its just a piece if tubing with the ends cut off.

Damn. I still had to figure out how to do all the attaching points and stuff to make it strong enough that takes some skill. And I was already having a bad day at work and now I get ragged on. Sheesh. Can't please anyone.

I figured it wasn't bad for my first try and some people might want to make something fairly easy also.

It actually doesn't mess my approach angle too much and it protects my front end a bit. If I can't get up something that the bumper hits, I can always cut some of it down. That is why I didn't cap the ends yet. I need to test it out and cut it on the trail if need be. Did I mention it can second as an air tank?

Does anyone like the slimplicity of it? It also didn't cost anything as I had the metal laying around the garage so it was FREE. In my book that makes it perfect.

Free is always perfect!!! I like the simplicity.
Mine is going to be 11 gage 2x6 when i get the chance... I'll post pics when it's done.. or started even...

DOn't listen to the masses
I like the look and simplicity of it in fact thats kind of what I want to do.
Do you mind show a better picture of were to mount it to the body.

THumbs up

xj92 said:
The ends stick way out and kill your approach angle.

from your pictures, it's hard to tell how well the winch or the super ramma-bamma bar is attached to the brackets. very questionable. Is this thing welded together or bolted together???

On the plus side, you could use it to clothesline a deer.

Welded and bolted.

The flat stock extends out (from the frame) to the square stock and a plate is put on the gap or box that was made. This was then welded and bolted using angle iron to the new cross member and all bolted/welded together. Then angle iron on the inside of the box that was created and welded then bolted to everything else. Next the cross member use angle iron, bolts, and welds to hold it in place. Nothing is just welded and nothing is just bolted. Everything is connect both ways to the frame. Even the tow hooks use welds, bolts and angle iron to connect it to the new box frame.

If this doens't make sense, I think I confused my too.

I'll do close ups this weekend and post them. It was too sunny when I took the pictures yesterday.

I like simplicity and I plan on making a new bumper for myself too. I'm going to use some larger tubing (maybe 4x6?) and chop one side off so it's a big C that fits over the stock mounting tabs (which will be strengthened with steel going way back onto the subframe). I'll weld two vertical pieces into the C-channel bumper that will bolt into the stock mounting holes. The ends of the steel will be angled back and chopped up to improve the approach angle near the tires. Free is always good, but it would be free to make some cuts on the tubing and bend it too. :) If you like it and it's functional enough, then leave it as is and enjoy it.

Hmmm couple things:
1. Your front crossmember seems unprotected. (or at least the bottom of it). You might want to do soemthing about that
2. I second the questions about the winch mount: got any more detailed pictures
3. How will it hold up for a side pull or an angle pull? is it braced enough in that direction? it's kind of hard to see from the pics but it seems that it might fold upon itself or tweak sideways.

Oh and by posting here in a way you asked for opinions.... and you got them..... so there is no "raggin" going on...

dandecicco said:
Damn. I still had to figure out how to do all the attaching points and stuff to make it strong enough that takes some skill. And I was already having a bad day at work and now I get ragged on. Sheesh. Can't please anyone.

I figured it wasn't bad for my first try and some people might want to make something fairly easy also.

It actually doesn't mess my approach angle too much and it protects my front end a bit. If I can't get up something that the bumper hits, I can always cut some of it down. That is why I didn't cap the ends yet. I need to test it out and cut it on the trail if need be. Did I mention it can second as an air tank?

Does anyone like the slimplicity of it? It also didn't cost anything as I had the metal laying around the garage so it was FREE. In my book that makes it perfect.

Hey Dande-boy, grow a pair, OK? You asked for comments, they gave em to you. This is NAXJA, when you ask for opinions you're gonna get them; brutally honest ones. It's great that you're trying your hand at fab work. We all started somewhere and many of our early projects got hammered on like yours because, frankly, they weren't very good. We got better. So will you if you listen to the comments instead of getting your panties in a bunch. Look again, no one was "ragging" on you. There were no, "Your bumper sucks, dude", comments. They were all constructive criticisms and most were pretty much dead on. That's what makes this group as good as it is. If you're just fishing to get your ass kissed, post on JU.

Last edited:
Oh come on now! My skin is tougher that that. I have no problem with criticism and I rather enjoy it. The way the board is going, more comments seem to arrise if people get to criticise. In a way its just to get a spark going;)

I will post more pictures this afternoon so people can see the cross bracing and supports that are not clear in the first round of pictures.

Then I want to get some feedback so I can strengthen in place that might be needed.

Cheers!

I agree about tucking the ends back. not only for aproach, but I could see myself catching on that corner everytime i walked around the front of the truck. that could be in a very bad spot.... I also would try for more protection to the winch rollers, maybe some d-ring that stick out just a hair more, so they hit instead of the rollers... but i have a bent stock bumper, so what do i know....

Did you run the bracing to the back mount points (where the OEM tow bar brackets bolt in)?

Here's a pic of my bumper I built after I rolled my rig. Note the bracing plate going along the side and bolting through the uni-frame just aft of where the sway bar is attached.

0020front_bumper_done.jpg

The bumper has changed a bit since that picture - it now has a winch plate on it, but the overall bracing is still there. And after winching a full sized dodge diesel 2500 out of a ditch, I can say that all that bracing came through!

schpim0431.jpg

Back