• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated some barn doors.

I wonder how hard it would be to do on a later steel tailgate

I wonder how hard it would be to do on a later steel tailgate

That would depend on what material you are better at fabricating with.
I like to think I am pretty good at fiberglass work. But if you can weld thin sheet steel, then that may be easier, and much stronger in the end.
All my steel work for the hinges/body was an angle grinder and a crackle box with lots of grinding and filing to clean up the welds. I would have killed for a TIG welder.

Mo' Betta.

It looks like you even made your own hinges. Nothing to pull out of a junkyard? Or are the junkyard options just wrong for the application? I would be inclined to start out with a set of Suburban hinges or something like that. Regardless of which path you take for hinges I think the 'glass work is the biggest challenge. Evidently that is well within your repertoire.

At full opening it looks like the doors are very close to the body. Do they clear it?

Looks like you have done a substantial bit of work up on the dash too. I like how you got the radio tucked in there.

My hat is off for both the creativity and the execution.

Mo' Betta.

It looks like you even made your own hinges. Nothing to pull out of a junkyard? Or are the junkyard options just wrong for the application? I would be inclined to start out with a set of Suburban hinges or something like that. Regardless of which path you take for hinges I think the 'glass work is the biggest challenge. Evidently that is well within your repertoire.

At full opening it looks like the doors are very close to the body. Do they clear it?

Looks like you have done a substantial bit of work up on the dash too. I like how you got the radio tucked in there.

My hat is off for both the creativity and the execution.

Well tucked deep inside and around the corner are two hinges per side that came from my Range Rover P38 doors (RIP) And yes at full open they are near 90 degree, I stopped them just shy of 1/4 inch of the body. I do agree the one photo makes the door appear to be hitting.

I have re-used many parts from the Range Rover, the 12 speaker audio system, Full fuse box, axle wheels, horns, etc... still have some stuff to swap out, weld, etc... The two most time consuming things were re-wiring the entire jeep to swap out the fuse boxes, and the tail lamp work to get the lenses to open with the door and fit the limited space.

Glad you like it. =D

Wow! That's the ugliest thing Ive ever seen! Jk.
Im just hating because I don't have the patience to make nice things like that. Haha

At first I thought finally, but then realized you were joking. I am surprised that no one has actually posted how hideous it is. I figured someone wouldn't like it.
Maybe everyone is just following the "If you don't have anything nice to say" rule.

At first I thought finally, but then realized you were joking. I am surprised that no one has actually posted how hideous it is. I figured someone wouldn't like it.
Maybe everyone is just following the "If you don't have anything nice to say" rule.

im not a fan of it... but its also not my jeep. and its not like he is spewing false info to people about technical stuff.

i just moved on without raining on the guys parage.

Honestly, I don't like it at all but I can definitely appreciate the work that's gone into it. If I went through the trouble I'd want it to be a horizontally split hatch. Tailgate drops down, window goes up.

Just out of curiosity, what advantage does the barn door have over a standard hatch?

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't like it at all but I can definitely appreciate the work that's gone into it. If I went through the trouble I'd want it to be a horizontally split hatch. Tailgate drops down, window goes up.

Just out of curiosity, what advantage does the barn door have over a standard hatch?

Horizontal split was my backup plan. I did this for a few reasons.
The shocks were bad, and the mounts rusted out. I welded them a few times.
I hate having to lean back when opening the hatch, I've hit my head more times then I can remember.
But most of all it's just faster for my dog, and loading items open/in/close.

Props for the TON of work this had to take, waaaaaaaaaaay more time than I would invest in anything on a jeep.

Not my cup of tea but it looks really well done. I like my lift gate, gives me a dry place to stand while its raining or to grab some shade on sunny days. I have StrongArm brand struts and the liftgate flies up with the tiniest effort, makes opening a breeze.

I have a recent fond memory of sitting in the back of the XJ parked at a Grand Canyon view point eating lunch with my ol' lady, the lift gate was the perfect sun shade.

This is how I wish all back ends were made.

Not my cup of tea but it looks really well done. I like my lift gate, gives me a dry place to stand while its raining or to grab some shade on sunny days. I have StrongArm brand struts and the liftgate flies up with the tiniest effort, makes opening a breeze.

I have a recent fond memory of sitting in the back of the XJ parked at a Grand Canyon view point eating lunch with my ol' lady, the lift gate was the perfect sun shade.

Ah yes..... I used to do this with my Range Rover. It had a lift gate and a tailgate combo. Off roading and then lunch on the tailgate. I contemplated the split horizontal but it wouldn't be the same. plus it seemed like more work then the two doors.

I like it cause it is different and the result of patience and hard work.

I see the benefits for folks who can't reach the hatch on a lifted XJ (like my wife)

Back