• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any wiring gurus near Charlotte?

OK all, I put on a set of Hella 500s on my roof rack a few weeks ago, and I need some help installing them. I thought it would be straightforward until I read it involved cutting and splicing wires, something I have absolutely no clue about.

I got a quote from the local 4 wheel drive place I take it to, and they said it would cost $200+ to install the lights. Being that I am short on money, that is not an option. And I can't do it by myself.

So, if anyone is in the Charlotte area and wants to install them for me, I'll buy you a case of beer!

Thanks for reading! :wave1:

splicing wires is nothng to be intimidated by, if u have he tools it is really easy, there r many places to get wire crimping pliers, strippers, solder iron, try a local 4x club and join it so u have some fellow offroaders that u will know in your area, take an auto class at the local cc hth

Were are you hung up at? I hadn't much wiring experiance, but I got it after a while when I realized what was going on.

$200 is way too much for installing a set of lights. That shouldn't take more than an hour or two of fairly simple wiring.

Each light should have 2 wires, a ground wire and a positive wire. The ground wires need to be grounded to the body. The positive wires need to be run to a 12volt source usually through a switch and a relay. Unless they are supplying the lights, the wires, the relays, and the connectors for $200 I wouldn't let that shop do the work.

$200 is way too much for installing a set of lights. That shouldn't take more than an hour or two of fairly simple wiring.

Each light should have 2 wires, a ground wire and a positive wire. The ground wires need to be grounded to the body. The positive wires need to be run to a 12volt source usually through a switch and a relay. Unless they are supplying the lights, the wires, the relays, and the connectors for $200 I wouldn't let that shop do the work.

Yeah I agree, I was rather surprised at that quote! The light kit came with all the parts needed for an install, including the relays and connectors, and a power switch. I'm just confused about how to put it all together.

http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=43

He does a very good job showing the wiring process. I just got done rewiring all of my lights, as well as making my own headlight harness, and it's really not bad once you understand what each part of the relay does. The rest is just measuring/running wires and crimping connectors.

Last edited:
Hey, this thread was much better than the first one. You already got a guy in the area willing to help, because you were to the point. Just pay attention when someone helps so you know how to do the stuff yourself.

Can you read or do you just need some attention? I mean it really can't get much easier than installing some fog lighting... sell you XJ and buy a bicycle...

http://www.adventureaccessories.com/lighting/instructions/500550MountingInstructions.pdf

She is mounting them on a roof rack. That would make it just a little different than wiring fog lights on a bumper.

I for one would like to know the best way to route the wiring from the lights (mounted on a roof rack) to the switch inside the Cherokee, making for a clean, leakproof installtion.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to view what others have done in person and that can be a little difficult over the internet.

She is mounting them on a roof rack. That would make it just a little different than wiring fog lights on a bumper.

I for one would like to know the best way to route the wiring from the lights (mounted on a roof rack) to the switch inside the Cherokee, making for a clean, leakproof installtion.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to view what others have done in person and that can be a little difficult over the internet.

It makes no difference what-so-ever... Just longer wiring...

I'll give you a quick easy rundown for nice clean install:

1. mount lights
2. run wiring along your roof rack (get some sleeves for a clean look)
3. run the wiring into the cab at the hatch
4. run it down behind some of the plastics to the floor
5. run it to the front (under the door molding or whatever)
6. run the wire(s) to the switch.... to the switch you've mounted
7. run the wire(s) to the relay under the hood through the firewall
8. run the wire(s) from the relay to the battery

easy, clean.. and if I recall the Hella relays are even color coded and it's seriously about fool proof...

EDIT: you're going to need more wire than provided... go the AutoZone or Advance and grab some... also get some connectors for when you splice it...

OK all, I put on a set of Hella 500s on my roof rack a few weeks ago, and I need some help installing them. I thought it would be straightforward until I read it involved cutting and splicing wires, something I have absolutely no clue about.

I got a quote from the local 4 wheel drive place I take it to, and they said it would cost $200+ to install the lights. Being that I am short on money, that is not an option. And I can't do it by myself.

So, if anyone is in the Charlotte area and wants to install them for me, I'll buy you a case of beer!

Thanks for reading! :wave1:

Give Andy a call or PM. the call would be better. Tell him Glenn sent you. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967521

Back