• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget build

jjmat3

NAXJA Forum User
Spent yesterday budget lifting a friends XJ. Over the last several months we have been gathering used donated parts and a couple cheap purchases. All told I think he has under $200 in this about 3" lift and that includes 4 new shocks and new rear shackles.

Pics:
Before
Before1.jpg

After
After1.jpg

Stock.jpg

lifted1.jpg

Home made rear bar pin eliminator (upper shock mount) using stock rear sway bar bracket.
rearBPE.jpg

Relocated front brake lines to lengthen them and keep tire from hitting.
Before
brake1.jpg

After
brake2.jpg

Added a cheap front diff guard
Before
diff1.jpg

After
diff4.jpg

Proud owner. (4x4Fish)
NotProud.jpg

I had donated my time and a set of 5 used 245/75 MTR's, LOST member Nolan (hoku5) donated a set of stock KJ wheels, guys on NAXJA donated leaf pack w/ AAL, coil springs, sway bar discos, ZJ steering, front tow hooks, etc.
This should improve the off road prowess of the rig and it sure came out looking good.

Thats how a budget lift is suppose to be done. Nice job guys. Now go trim that junk from the front fender/under bumper!!!!!! :D

RyanM said:
Thats how a budget lift is suppose to be done. Nice job guys. Now go trim that junk from the front fender/under bumper!!!!!! :D

Luckily, it stuffs the tires nicely and only hits a couple plastic spots. The only thing bad right now is the tire rub on the lower control arm on both sides when turning sharp. Stock back spaced wheels and wider rubber didn't help that. I told him to live w/ it for now as it is only during full lock turns that it happens and is livable for now. Probably wouldn't even be an issue w/ a less agressive tire but the side lugs on the MTR's grab the arms.

that looks great. Good to hear your local XJ'ers are so generous with their secondhand stuff!

LOL way to go, I thoroughly enjoy when someone pulls something like that off. That thing will go anywhere you point it now, the next step is rails so you don't cave the bottom in, and yer all set!! Excellent work.

Sweet job. Looks awesome.

I didn't realize that non-paying members couldn't post in here. Anyhow, 4x4fish is a poor school boy and not able to join right now so here is what he pm'd me to pass on to the forum:

4x4fish said:
Thanks for posting the pics. Oh yeah everyone at school thinks my Jeep is awesome, its the new monster truck in the parking lot! Thanks! Matt

That looks great. I love budget builds.

Using the rear swaybar brackets as BPEs and bending/re-mounting the front brake lines are two of the best tricks I've learned about on NAXJA.

Your next step might be to get some front swaybar disconnects. They can be done cheaply too but it's also an area where a failure could lead to disaster on the highway. I'd suggest good ones like JKS (Christmas is only 11 months away).

Nice job.

lesabre400 said:
That looks great. I love budget builds.

Using the rear swaybar brackets as BPEs and bending/re-mounting the front brake lines are two of the best tricks I've learned about on NAXJA.

Your next step might be to get some front swaybar disconnects. They can be done cheaply too but it's also an area where a failure could lead to disaster on the highway. I'd suggest good ones like JKS (Christmas is only 11 months away).

Nice job.

Got the discos but they are crappy ones that we will upgrade in near future if we can find a good deal on used ones. It actually flexes pretty well w/ them connected.

bigbadwolf54 said:
What do you mean by failure of the sway-bar causing disaster?

So lets say your going 75 mph and you havta swerve to avoid something and your swaybar is not attached, your probably going to end up in a ditch, with the sway bar attached your going to be able to move safer.

-Alex

I forgot to mention, that is one of the cleanest undersides I've ever seen on an XJ!!

You'll be fine with no sway bar up there, just take some time to get used to it. Curvy roads will be different.

I call bullshit at 75 if u swerve you are most likely going to roll. I just got back from the hospital because i rolled my dads 07 taco going 45 bc i swerved to miss someone. At 75 swaybars mean very little.

bigbadwolf54 said:
I call bullshit at 75 if u swerve you are most likely going to roll. I just got back from the hospital because i rolled my dads 07 taco going 45 bc i swerved to miss someone. At 75 swaybars mean very little.

I agree, I just put my swaybar back on after maybe 2 years. I can tell its back on and it feels tighter, but if you're going that fast and you have to swerve, you weren't paying attention or you were going way too fast. Plus I don't even think mine can push 75!

X2 on the clean budget build

Back