• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Select Trac vs. Command Trac

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I test drove a 2000 model today. It was equipped with a Select Trac transfer case. I engaged the Part - Time, Full-Time, and LOW on my test. When I went to disengage the four wheel drive it would not come out. The handle on the transfer case would move and the light would go out but the four wheel drive would not disengage. My question is, should I keep looking for another XJ with the command trac or if the dealer rectifies the problem will this transfer case give me problems. Any opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

how far did you drive after shifting back in to 2 wh. dr? It usually take a minute of two to disengage. At least the on I used to have did.

Shifty said:
Hi. I test drove a 2000 model today. It was equipped with a Select Trac transfer case. I engaged the Part - Time, Full-Time, and LOW on my test. When I went to disengage the four wheel drive it would not come out. The handle on the transfer case would move and the light would go out but the four wheel drive would not disengage. My question is, should I keep looking for another XJ with the command trac or if the dealer rectifies the problem will this transfer case give me problems. Any opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

Mine is a 94 and depending on your speed it takes various amounts of time to "kick out" of 4 wheel, after you shift back to 2wd.

I usually let off the gas when I put the lever back in 2wd, then goose it a little, then let off again. Usually kicks right after that. I've read that if the left and right tire pressures aren't the same up front, it'll keep the transfer case from from disengaging.

Nothing to worry about. Mine will do it from time to time. I just come to a stop and or close to it and shift into neutral. Than it pops right out. I think it's a great t-case. Full Time 4x4 for the highway in the snow and heavy rain. Down side is a lack of aftermarket support like the Command Trac (NP231). 2wd low range, 4.1 gears (will fit with some grinding in 242), and heavy duty slip yoke kits (or at least more companys making them. Tom Woods being the only one) Juice

If you were test driving this vehicle, I assume it was on pavement? If you ran it in part-time high range and/or low range on pavement, you put the drive train under stress. When it's bound up it CAN'T shift out of 4WD. Usually either stopping and alternating between reverse and forward a couple of times will do it, or driving slowly while alternately turning left and right.

If the former owner never or rarely used 4WD it will be stiffer than if he/she used 4WD daily.

Have had both the 231 nad the 242, not want to shift out of 4X on occasion. Have tried various techniques, stopping and shifting from drive to neutral to reverse, playing with the throttle a little, etc. Have had to back up a little on occasion.
Have been trying something new, that has been working well so far. As I´m coming to a stop, with the steering wheel straight, I shift into 2X just as, or slightly before, the vehicle comes to a stop. Has worked for me every time so far.

Once you buy it, if you do, change the fluid in the T-case to Mobil1 and I guarantee you will notice a major difference in shifting.

Shifty said:

Thanks for the help. When I tested it I did go to a snowy dirtroad to try the fourwheel drive. I had not realized that it did not shift out of 4 hi until I drove back into the dealership which was across the street. i may go for another test tomorrow.

My ’91 Limited does the same thing. Goosing the gas and then stopping usually gets it back out of 4x4. I’ll have to try that trick of shifting into 2-wheel drive while stopping. I live in Alaska and use the 4 full time about 4 to 6 months out of the year. The NP242 is worth its weight in gold up here.

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but...
A friend of mine has a 99 w/231 that is kind of difficult to get out of 4hi. He tells me it makes a nasty bang when it finally does pop out. Are any of you guys experiencing this? I'd like to be able to help him solve this problem since I pushed him toward an XJ when he was shoppping for an SUV.

mike

Back