• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nw-xj-scott

5" lift with no SYE or TC drop, went threw two rear Joints in an hour.

Gotta get new spicer joints, and install my new IRO TC drop, with new poly motor mounts..

sad, tedious reason, to miss NWfest...

when you going to do some work on it?

i cant let you catch up on my post account so here it goes...

i plan to order the mounts, and a veriety of Spicer joints (spares) wednesday, im in no immidiate hurry to get it fixed, i have about 2 weeks. its really not alot of work..

I just moved, so now i have a garage to take my sweet ass time.. My next planned wheelin/campin trip is middle of july.

and matt, it took me a year for my post count. it has taken you 5 for yours.. better get some nos fo yo finga's yO!

im ready. just times i havent had the net for 6 months at a time.. or havent had time to when i lived in cali..

Damn man bad luck... Is your axle shimmed? I ran 7.5" lift with no tc drop or SYE just shims never had a problem

Damn man bad luck... Is your axle shimmed? I ran 7.5" lift with no tc drop or SYE just shims never had a problem
yep. its shimmed. angle is good, no vibes at all. i just couldnt come up with any reason for two joints to blow the caps and destroy the straps.
im going to try true spicers and see what i get..

I had 5 do that. I was goin through u joints every 20 or so miles. took my shims out, turned them so the fat part is towards the front of the jeep, and were good. I didnt put em in, and it was like that since i got it. i beat the livin hell out of it at tsf and somethin changed and it didnt like it.

Which end are the U-joints being destroyed?
You often don't need a SYE for that height even without a TC drop.
If you check the angles of your TC and pinion and set them correctly then you should be good to go. The other issue is that your output shaft from the TC might need more clearance when the axle is drooped. You can get a better clearanced output shaft from a YJ or from Rusty's for about $50.

Either way a SYE is a better solution but understanding the issue is probably a better way to know what you are fixing.

I don't know why it would take more than a couple hours to fix and have it ready for NWFest?

Michael

Which end are the U-joints being destroyed?
You often don't need a SYE for that height even without a TC drop.
If you check the angles of your TC and pinion and set them correctly then you should be good to go. The other issue is that your output shaft from the TC might need more clearance when the axle is drooped. You can get a better clearanced output shaft from a YJ or from Rusty's for about $50.

Either way a SYE is a better solution but understanding the issue is probably a better way to know what you are fixing.

I don't know why it would take more than a couple hours to fix and have it ready for NWFest?

Michael
Its the joint at the rear axle yoke. and at this point its a semi cheap fix. nothing extreme, i just dont trust the rig for a drive that far due to this problem. (that and finances after moving have dwindled down)
I know one problem is mounts, all 3 mounts are shot. the tranny mount is cracked and i can actually kick the TC and watch it all move..

so i am replacing the mounts first, then installing the TC drop (cant hurt) and new joints, i will tempt my fait somewhere closer such as TSF and see how it goes..

I guess the main reason it sounds so easy, is because i have not mentioned all the Replacement parts i have..

new shocks (F- RC shocks), ZJ steering, battery & cable, fix my 88manche look-a-like door & rocker rail (i c wut sliderz r 4 lolz:jester:) and then when i really get motivated the D30 is leakin out the drivers side.. (yay)

ehhh.. im just a fat lazy unmotivated bastard who just moved, i could use a beer

Back