• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a floor jack - Harbor Freight? Is this one alright?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]3 TON SUPER HEAVY DUTY FLOOR JACK
clear.gif
[/FONT]

34271.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Professionally designed with thick welded steel plate construction and an oversized saddle. This industrial quality unit will quickly become a must for day-in day-out use. Overall dimensions: 26"L x 13-1/2W".
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Design: floor jack
  • Capacity: 3 ton
  • Maximum Height: 20"
  • Minimum Height: 5-3/4"
  • Weight: 94 lbs. shipping weight
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
ITEM 34271-7VGA

$59.99

AND there is another for the same price the only difference I see is that it does not raise up quite 20", but its discounted from $69.99 to $59.99 so its the same price as the above. I think I like the 1st one more looks like it has a bigger lifting platform. Does Harbor Freight have in stock (El Cajon Store) the same product that they have online?

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]3 TON HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK[/FONT]
clear.gif

54877.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Heavy duty construction for daily shop use.
  • Rugged steel wheels move easily on garage floors
  • 39" long handle
  • Maximum lift: 19-3/8"
  • Minimum height: 4-1/2"
  • Durable enamel finish
  • 6000 lb. capacity
[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]Overall dimensions: 24" long x 14-3/8" wide; Weight: 107 lbs.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ITEM 54877-1VGA[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]

$69.99 $59.99

[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

fdsa487 said:
Im really wondering why the 2nd one is discounted from 69 to 59 and its not even "super heavy duty" like the 1st one. Whatever.:gee:
I don't know your amount of space or frequency of use, but my crapsman aluminum jack has been my best purchase from sears(usually not a huge fan of craftsman), light enough to lug around and shove and pull where you need it, and still plenty heavy duty, just thought I would throw that out there. The HF 12-ton jackstands work really good also

My experience with floor jacks is as follows:
When you turn the handle to release the load it suddenly releases dropping the load
Those swivel casters...don't
Too many pumps to reach the vehicle
jack slowly lowers load even if you tighten handle real tight (see first entry)
I have a jack from Kragan or someplace. It is identical to the HF unit except brand name and color. My guess is same manufacturer (china) just different stickers. My advise is cough up the ducs for a quality jack. Your beloved rig could fall....and hit your beer!
Take a lookie here http://search.thetoolwarehouse.net/?keywords=jacks&storeid=toolswai&GoSearch.x=17&GoSearch.y=14

I just bought one (the super heavy duty). Finesse the handle and it'll come down nice and slow. Steel wheels slide over cement/asphalt. Too many pumps to reach vehicle???? true! I haven't noticed the jack lowering, either because it's too new and I haven't lost any fluid or it's not on long enough. I go straight to jack stands. (no lost beer or headaches... yet). If you have the jack for a better one go for it. If money's the issue (like at my house) the hf jack is like a broke drum.
Can't beat it.

Thanks for the replies y'all. After all that my dad will sell me one of his 3 ton (its a Kobalt and 2 Kobalt jack stands) all only slighly used for $50. That works for me! Woot woot. Break Job (BJ) this weekend. I moved from my parents and have like hardly any tools. I have enough to get buy but I can see the wife getting mad real soon at the $ spent on tools. As long as her hair/nails/toes are maintained I think we are fair. At least I have my own pad through 3 bd 2 bath and 1 garage all of my own :cheers:

IF you're having trouble with your jack creeping donw try bleeding it (Before it bleeds you? :D)

Simply run it up to the highest it will go and give it a few good extra pumps, I'll generally do about five. Granted you want to make sure the jack is full first.

GSequoia said:
IF you're having trouble with your jack creeping donw try bleeding it (Before it bleeds you? :D)

Simply run it up to the highest it will go and give it a few good extra pumps, I'll generally do about five. Granted you want to make sure the jack is full first.

This will be the 1st floor jack I own. Do they take grease? I've seen the grease fitting on them before. What other fluid do they take?

You can pick up pneumatic jack oil at any Pep Boys, probably any auto parts store that is decent in size. Go to where the cleaning stuff is, like brake cleaner and injector cleaner, it's usually located close to there.

i have the first one and it blows.

I somehow managed to strip the bolt out that holds the handle in place and allows it to turn to release, so it can be a bitch to lower it sometimes in certain places.

I'd buy a nice one. Craftsman has a nice one, single roller wide roller up front. JB has one and its super nice compared to my harbor freight junk.

I've had one for awhile, I put the jacks stands under the jeep every time. It's a good thing I do because the jack has never held the load, it will always bleed off. I'd buy from somewhere else.

the reviews on the Sears aluminum jack are horrible but thats only a few ppl. Thats why i avoided it. I went with the regular 3 ton ugly black jack. on the 3rd pump, the weld on the handle broke. Got a replacement (same model) and its been working great.

Back