• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could somebody talk some since into me?

hoytinak

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's getting to be that time of year. The weather is getting warmer and i'm starting to see some CJ's around with no doors or tops. Kinda got me thinking about selling the XJ for a new toy (CJ-7). It's prolly just a phase but could someone help talk me out of it?
Trevor

:nono: :twak:

Topless and doorless? Why get a another Jeep? A sawzall is a lot cheaper! :laugh3:

Or get a sports car and allow yourself to go all out on the XJ!

Dont do it!! just take your doors off and call it good

hackedxj said:
I like wheelin with CJs, makes my XJ look like it has supernatural powers, freaks people out!

Yeah that is true...a buddy of mine has two CJ-5's, I did more when my XJ was stock then he would even try with both CJ's on 33's! I think ya'll talked me into keeping it! Thanks!
Trevor

All kidding aside...I know what you mean about the call of nice weather; every May 1st the top and doors came off and every Oct 30th they went back on. I sold my 77 CJ in 2002 to fund my current XJ.

A couple of factors...contrary to popular belief it was getting hard to get some parts for the CJ, especially the quadra-trac. But probably the main reason was comfort. It was my daily driver and was ok when I comuted across town 2 miles each way. After 9/11 my job situation changed and the commute became 18 miles each way, freeway driving across a 5 mile long bridge. The cold air reeked havoc on my left elbow and shoulder, needed to wear a jacket even on the warmest days or the soreness would bother me. the backside...even with recaro seats...the 44 yo backside would get serious car butt. The CJ would wander whenever the speeds were over 55mph.

Every once in awhile I see a CJ or Wrangler running around with no top and I look enviously, then I realize why I don't have one anymore. If I lived in warm weather climes...like AZ or the gulf states I would seriously consider getting one for old times sake...but the XJ would remain my main ride.

Good Luck,
Tom

All it will take is one ride down a rocky bumpy road to change your mind. Just one! I had a YJ. Yeah I miss taking the top off. I can take the doors off the XJ. I'm just glad I can go wheeling now without a kidney belt.

DrMoab said:
All it will take is one ride down a rocky bumpy road to change your mind. Just one! I had a YJ. Yeah I miss taking the top off. I can take the doors off the XJ. I'm just glad I can go wheeling now without a kidney belt.

2nd that!! i've always loved early broncos, even though about getting one. then, yesterday, i was helping a buddy move some equipment around at the camp down the road from my house. i got to drive it bronco, 4.5" of lift on 33's, to follow him up to get a tractor. with front coils and all, that think still rode like a rock compared to my jeep. I think back to my old scout as well. yeah, taking the top of was great...and flooding carbs, and freezing in the winter, and no a\c in the summer. But really, of everything else, i love how well my cherokee rides, and still works great off road.

Back