• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Softest ride with 32" tires

Czjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My back is bad from TBD Army. I'd like to get my 99 XJ on 31" tires. Is the softest rude via OME? I've got a rustys front bumper and winch on it now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My back is bad from TBD Army. I'd like to get my 99 XJ on 31" tires. Is the softest rude via OME? I've got a rustys front bumper and winch on it now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Just a suggestion, but might be worth your time to give Dirk at DPG offroad a call and give him a run-down on what you're after.

He pieced together a custom setup for me based on my use case. I'm still waiting on my components from OME, so I can't comment first hand on performance yet, but he was helpful and patient in listening to my needs and explaining the different options and tradeoffs.

If your #1 priority is comfort and compliance, perhaps piecing together a kit with softer springs and lower damping rates might get you more towards your goal than an "off the shelf" kit.

I'm sure others with more first hand experience of kit options can offer better insight, but based on my past experience, comfort and ride quality impressions are very personal and subjective.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Deaver springs with possibly a leaf removed to adjust for height and/or some SRB's.

Shackle relocation box. The shackle mounting point (to the vehicle) is moved several inches towards the front of the vehicle. When this is done in combination with using a longer-than-stock shackle, a steeper shackle angle is formed, and this considerably softens the rear suspension. This happens because as the leaf spring compresses and straightens, the shackle travels through an arc, partially in an upward direction allowing the rear leaf spring mounting point to move upward and creating more rear wheel travel. The spring rate can be reduced by as much as 30% depending on the selected shackle angle. Not only does it soften the ride, but it adds wheel travel, so its a great mod for the rear suspension.

The factory shackle box is cut out of the vehicle, and an aftermarket one is installed, either by bolting or welding.

I agree with rcp.
Contact needs made with deaver and the like. Possibly accutune, filthy motor sports, shock builders who can valve shocks to your needs. And give you options and likely possible positive outcomes in how your money is spent

Or just give me your money now, atleast ill get some use out of it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shackel angle is critical for a less harsh ride. I know from first if you have done a lift, that angle is likely now wrong, unless it was delt with correctly. mine was not correct till I added a shackle relocation bracket and adjustable shackle. now at closer to 45 degrees, than the near 90 degrees it was, she floats over speed bumps that before were harsh jolts. a huge upgrade in ride.

so go and look at your shackles, you will benefit from correcting them if they are wrong. the difference for me was huge. if in doubt what to look for for shackle angle, post a nice side view photo of your shackle, take the photo perpendicular to the leaf spring.

Find some load c 31s. Run em at 20 lbs

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Load range C tires, the flattest control arms possible (minimal lift), good shackle angle, and soft springs will be the best you can do for your back. Shocks will play a roll, but they provide force proportional to the speed they are compressing/rebounding at. They won't make a big difference for the initial "shock" of energy through the body upon hitting a bump.

Beyond that, a good quality suspension seat maybe?

I am on 31's and a 2" lift on one of my XJs. I have not driven it much. I would say it also depends on how high you want to lift. 2", 3" or 3-1/2". Also, as to tires the aspect ratio or width of tire. I would think a wider tire would help to an extent. I would also go with the 6 ply or C tire. I have a 10 ply, I think E.
On a 2" the stock control arms should be fine. I did get CORE Stage 1. I went with front springs from IRO and Up Country or 1.5". So, a cheap setup. Or I was trying to keep cost down. I'd look at Old Man Emu (OME) springs. If 3-1/2 lift possibly the Metal Cloak progressive springs. I have a set for my next build. Also, possibly the Metal Cloak control arms, $$$.
I used an IRO Boomerang shackle and did not have to use a shackle relocation kit. I had a Ironman 4X4 to install if needed.
For shocks, I am not sure. I'd probably go with KYB front and rear. Try and match YJ for the front and possibly rear. Get the silver ones made in Japan. A touch stiffer than stock, but not much. For some $$$, I'd get opinions on the Ranchero 9000 Adjustable or the Fox adjustable.
I'd avoid polyurethane bushings. Although I have some on my setup. I might look into cross over steering and Over The Knuckle (OTK) trackbar(s). I think they give better steering. Yes, I have that on my 2" lift. I'd also get a gear box brace.
I'd check Kevin's Offroad for improvement parts. He does a lot for Death Wobble.

I'm at 4.5 on 32's and my ride is cush. I use rubicon express coils, shackle relocation brackets in rear and drop brackets up front, and ome leafs with a spring removed (dont remember the part number but they were 5.5" before pulling a leaf) and I think 1.5" longer shackles
I'm using bilstein 5100 shocks, they seemed a little tight when new but broke in quickly. I don't know if I would want shocks that were valved softer because I ditched the sway bar.

Don't know if the OP is still around. Here's DPG Offroad:
https://dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-2-5-deluxe-xj-kit/
Dirks good to deal with. My question would be what amount of lift? and purpose of lift or 31" tires?
I am wondering if for improved capabilities or ride height for ingress, egress. I find my 2 inch good for me as for ingress egress. I'm roughly 5' 11". About 50/50 distribution. So, about 2.5 to 3 ft to the bottom butt cheeck. This would determine the lift height, and therefore the springs I would or could use.

I bought a DPG/OME 4 inch lift from Dirk. I told him I wanted an "Old Man Soft" lift. I could not be more happy with my ride. Rides way better than my Dads stock 2003 4Runner.

Back