NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 5th, 2020, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Recommendation needed for high PSI power steering pump on an XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer View Post
I have two older AGR powersteering pumps on my FSJ Wagoneer's and they rock.
Last year I needed a new pump and thought "jeeewiz, I should just order an AGR pump for my Cherokee XJ?"

I came to find out that the original AGR company is no longer, and even though they are still called AGR their products are less than stellar.
I went through hell trying to get them to send a replacement for a VERY expensive pump that I had bought, not to mention using high dollar fluid to honor their warranty as well.
The first pump would only cavitate the fluid, and I could NEVER get it to work right. The second pump (after weeks on end not hearing from them, like three!) did not work either.
So after hundreds of dollars in a pump, and lots of money in fluid, I ended up sending it back to Summit Racing. Thank goodness I bought it through Summit otherwise I am sure I would have been out the money for the pump too. Yeah there is also a nice review on Summit's site on that pump.
I ended up going with a PSC pump and one of their external reservoirs too.

If you look on youtube I know Nickintime had the same kinda problems with AGR as well.

Same here, AGR is hell. sold me a junk gear box, even shipped me one too small, and then told me it would be fine, it lasted a few miles then I lost steering, the wheel would go near half a turn before tires turned, dangerous.
And that is after they sold me a dead junk pump. literally shipped junk parts, oh and then they over billed me, credit card charge was higher than the invoice. then they wanted me to pay shipping for return of the junk gear box and pump. No way, I ended up stopping credit card payment and won the case. Although i still lost money on power steering fluid, probably 40 bucks worth that got contaminated with metal when they junk blew. and then there was the hours wasted installing, removing their junk,

AGR is run by a bunch of clowns that feed BS to you on the phone or email, they lie, cheat, steal. Run away! total garbage.

Need I say more?
Old October 5th, 2020, 17:02
NAXJA Forum User

dont you know what AGR stands for ? always gets returned.
Old October 7th, 2020, 00:05
NAXJA Forum User

I decided to go with the Lee pump and reservoir. Apparently you can get the reservoir with a heatsink on it (known as the "finned" model), but it takes an extra week and I cannot wait any longer. I also decided I would use a transmission cooler (sometimes called an "oil cooler") from an automatic 4.0L Cherokee and mount it in the stock location and use this as a power steering cooler. I have a manual trans, so the spot is available. This way it is ensured air flow right up in the front of the car, which is infront of the radiator and the A/C's radiator. This way I don't need to mess with figuring out where to mount it. I'd have gone with the PSC PK1852 had the Lee unit not been available to ship tomorrow.
Old October 17th, 2020, 12:49
NAXJA Forum User

Let us know how the Lee pump work's out for ya.
Old October 17th, 2020, 19:48
NAXJA Forum User

I'll report back after I go wheeling, which will be some time away. Replacing the pump highlighted how much my steering gear box was leaking, so I have a reman '98/99 Durango box enroute.

First impressions of the Lee pump are that it is louder at high RPM (2500 rpm +) than the old AGR, but tolerable.

A point of confusion is to what level to fill the resevoir. There is this dashed engraved line (a knurl) on the outside of the aluminium reservoir, which is supposedly the fill line, but that fill line is no where near the top of the reservoir, it is around mid-level-ish. There are these two baffles inside the pump which look like funnels. The dashed line on the outside of the reservoir corresponds to this middle funnel (baffle), and there is another funnel right up near the top.

When I asked someone at Lee where I'm supposed to fill it, and if that fill line is for hot/running, hot/off, cold/running, cold/off, I got an answer that was somewhat ambiguous. He said, "The top baffle will coincide with the knurl on the outside. Car running.....warm".

But the knurl coincides with that middle baffle, not the top. Hence I am baffled.

I suspect that the knurl (middle baffle region) is the fill line for running/cold, and the top baffle (near the cap) is the maximum fluid level for the condition of running/very hot/strained system.

Maybe someone could share their "fill" experience here?
Old October 17th, 2020, 21:43
NAXJA Forum User

There's one other thing I forgot to mention about the Lee high flow pump for the XJ, since the casting of the pump's body is larger than standard, it will not fit all 3 of those long 10.9 grade bolts - it uses only 2 long bolts. For the 3rd bolt, you will need to find a grade 10.9 bolt that has only about 1" length of thread of the same width and pitch as the factory bolts. It will secure in the normal spot, but threads into the pump and secures to that thinner metal bracket that sandwiches the pump.