NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 18th, 2020, 08:10
You Guys ROCK!

Rear Leaf Replacement (3.5" OME Lift)

Looking for replacement rear springs and bump stops (one missing) for my '99 XJ.
Have complete 3.5" OME lift but rears seem to be flat, and feels/sounds like bottoming out on nearly any dirt road rut, bump or rock, even at very low speed. I did have probably 100# of gear in the back + spare tire rack on rear bumper, jack, rotopax (JRC). I've since unloaded but haven't test driven.
So, keeping it at 3.5" (33 x 10.50 w/4.56) can I get a recommendation on good spring packs and bump stops please? Just want to keep the height as is. The extra gear and tire rack need to be part of the equation I suppose.
Rubicon Express comes to mind but I haven't done any research for a few years so don't know what the favorites are these days.

Now that I have an elk tag it's come to me that I need to get this done.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: I might be looking to replace shocks as well. Guess I'd better get a buddy out to visualize what's happening.

Last edited by NOTNSUV; June 18th, 2020 at 08:18.
Old June 18th, 2020, 10:20
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Rear Leaf Replacement (3.5" OME Lift)

Springs support the load, shocks control the compression and suspension cycling. If your suspension is bottoming out just from the load, I would suspect spring issues. If the springs support the load and the suspension compression is bottoming out, I would suspect worn out shocks first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Old June 19th, 2020, 04:41
NAXJA Member

My question is weather the springs collapsed or to much weight for the springs? Is this the newer style of OME springs with the dual rates? My thought is that OME springs are modular. So, if the springs did not take a set, then add another leaf.
I have not installed my 3.5" OME springs. They are the dual rate ones. I did consider the 3.5" set from IRO. It does have the option of an additional leaf.
Old June 19th, 2020, 05:39
Freakish Hand Strength

Over compressing a leaf spring due to incorrect/missing bumpstops, or overloading leaf springs can damage them.

OME has light duty and severe duty springs, are your saggy ones the light duty part number ?

A leaf spring can be up graded by installing an additional leaf, I have done that to several XJ's to firm up a saggy stock leaf pack, or to build a custom suspension lift leaf spring. If the spring leaves are not damaged, a spring shop can re-arch them.

I installed the IRO KJ09122BK poly bumpstops and they work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; October 23rd, 2020 at 10:11.
Old October 17th, 2020, 09:46
You Guys ROCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Over compressing a leaf spring due to incorrect/missing bumpstops, or overloading leaf springs can damage them.

OME has light duty and severe duty springs, are your saggy ones the light duty part number ?

A leaf spring can be up graded by installing an additional leaf, I have done that to several XJ's to firm up a saggy stock leaf pack, or build a custom suspension lift leaf spring. If the spring leaves are not damaged, a spring shop can re-arch them.

I installed the IRO KJ09122BK poly bumpstops and they work well.
Thanks Tim. Just found this post doing a search. I'd forgotten it was here. Gonna get it off the ground today and check things out closer.

Old October 17th, 2020, 10:31
You Guys ROCK!

New pics.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Old October 17th, 2020, 10:43
You Guys ROCK!

Wonder if either of these are worthwhile?

Old October 17th, 2020, 10:58
You Guys ROCK!

Looks like Deaver offers only 4" leafs for XJ. What'll that do with 3.5" OME front? It certainly isn't high in the rear as is.

Old October 23rd, 2020, 01:41
NAXJA Member

Ya man those look smoked to me...

I'm pretty happy with the IRO 3.5 leafs with add a leaf option. Be warned, the extra leaf is separate on delivery. Not overly hard to take the pack apart and put it in just, overly annoying.

Those new shackles will provide some more lift, but they are definitely beefier than the stockers and I'd throw em in when you install the new springs.

The shackle relocation brackets you got there will add some more lift too, and allow you to get the proper angle on your shackles. If I'm seeing them correctly they bolt in to the stock shackle location and in turn drop the new shackle mojnting location a few inches, thus creating more lift? Unless I'm seeing them wrong

For some reason they do look off to me, and I can't place it, maybe I just need sleep lmao! I'm a big fan of the SFR srb. While they are more work to install they are of the "no lift SRB" variety. Something it sounds like you could use instead of the ones ya got. It took some work to get the old crap out... being OCD I ended up dropping the gas tank and all that fun stuff. I don't think ida blown my self up grinding near the filler neck and vent tube.. but it was in the way too.

At 3.5 up front, the ass will definitely be up a bit with any new 3.5" leaf spring kit you throw at it (not to mention the shackles and SRBs ya got). Takes a few for it to settle down a bit, some added weight of a steal bumper and tire carrier speeds that up. Or just drive around with sand bags in the hatch!

You could always throw a spacer up front as well. Not sure how the rest of your suspension is set up or if thats doable or not, but a cheap way to level her out

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; October 23rd, 2020 at 01:55.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 11:41
NAXJA Forum User

Your shackle box looks to be collapsed, but perhaps it just appears to be the case due to the close-up wide angle photo.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 18:41
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
Your shackle box looks to be collapsed, but perhaps it just appears to be the case due to the close-up wide angle photo.
Oh, good call out... I'm on my phone and the pics are monstrous, I totally missed that. Ya man, that thing is fubared fosho.

I don't know that the Shackel Relocation Bracket you have will still be able to mate to that... as my long-winded post hinted to, the nonlift SRB might serve you better- now with the damage here makes even more sense, as you have to cut that box out to install them. StinkyFab makes a dope one, but there are also others... as I already said I'm happy with my purchase, its a stout design, perfect bends, and had great customer service through and through. Not trying to sound like I'm tryna sell ya something tho, so ya: no lift Shackle relocation brackets

Should be in your near future

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; October 23rd, 2020 at 20:42.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 19:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
Oh, good call out... I'm on my phone and the pics are monstrous, I totally missed that. Ya man, that thing is fubared for sho.

Impressive if it is actually collapsed. Ironman4x4fab SRB also looks very nice. Great that there are many choices.