NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 29th, 2020, 13:57
NAXJA Member

Re: Steering Gear Box

I think we are all saying the same thing, but to be clear- I disagree that it has “nothing to do with the steering box”

The locker absolutely will make it harder to turn with both sides wanting to rotate at the same speed... yes it does have some disengagement hence “automatic locker” So, in theory it will release when turning and NOT into any throttle. The thing here, not having manual hubs, even in 2 wheel drive, it is always engaging and rotating with the axle shafts.

Now, with locking hubs that isn’t the case. My post about being a bear to turn is of course with hubs locked in 4wheel. And yes the steering gear is impacted, thus the need for a blinged out PSC box and/ or hydraulic assit.

The tightened feeling in his steering, IMO, can certainly be attributed to the front diff engaging both tires now, as opposed to the open differential that he was running before.
Old September 29th, 2020, 16:30
NAXJA Forum User

Nonetheless, it drives pretty good with a '98 Durango steering gear box (no plow). I find the locker to be disengaged while in 2WD. The annoyance is the leak. Rockauto shows these options for a reman:

Lares, $121 CAD after a $87 CAD core return. Does the customer pay return shipping?
BBB, $198 CAD after a $91 CAD core return. Does customer pay return shipping?

BBB also shows new plow and w/out plow units for $511 and $580 CAD.

Are these manufactured units any good?
Old September 30th, 2020, 14:18
NAXJA Member

Sorry I'm OCD... the locker is not disengaged, the transfer case is. The locker and non-locking hubs means both axle shafts are turning in the front end even though the tcase is in 2 wheel.

I haven't had or heard of much luck with remans... perhaps others will chime in.

Could you not find a rebuild kit to do your self?
Old September 30th, 2020, 15:50
NAXJA Forum User

I wasn't sure if special tools are required for the rebuild or if it is difficult and time consuming. Perhaps someone here has some experience with this. If I can get a reman for $121 locally and not have to ship a core back, it might be worth it; I don't know.
Old October 1st, 2020, 07:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
I wasn't sure if special tools are required for the rebuild or if it is difficult and time consuming. Perhaps someone here has some experience with this. If I can get a reman for $121 locally and not have to ship a core back, it might be worth it; I don't know.
I've done 2-4 gear boxes. You do need an Inch-LB torque wrench (meter). Also, snap ring pliers ect. Spanner wrench to tighten the front nut, and then there is the large flange nut. I'd say a used IN-BL will be $75 to $150 at the pawn shops. You need the one with the dial. There are the recirculating balls to keep track of and put into place. I had an MB box unwind when I turned to get something. They went everywhere. That box is still in use though. My first one, I did not get a rebuild kit. The front cover blew out, in the garage. Amsoil PS fluid over the floor. Late 80's and not cheap.
Possibly contact Blue Top for a rebuild. I think $200.
Old October 1st, 2020, 16:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Depends what you consider special. I didn't own snap ring plies for a while and you'll need those. A spanner wrench might come in handy and I don't own one of those either. I'm not even sure you can rent them anywhere.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/sa...how-to.570869/
Old October 1st, 2020, 19:55
NAXJA Forum User

I should have a lousy set of snap ring plyers. How long does the rebuild take for the average non-professional?
Old October 2nd, 2020, 03:59
NAXJA Forum User

Steering Gear Box

Quote:
I should have a lousy set of snap ring plyers. How long does the rebuild take for the average non-professional?

Being someone who has never done it I’d set aside an entire weekend to do it. I’d also tap the box for hydro assist if I was doing it.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

That's probably too risky for a daily driver. Has anyone had any luck with any of these steering box leak-stop products? I can say that the one from Lucas did not stop the leak.
Old October 11th, 2020, 07:04
NAXJA Member

Another option is Lee Steering, I had one on my Comanche and I’ve used them on my sprintcars, good stuff ���� https://leepowersteering.com/collect...ep-trucks-suvs
Old October 12th, 2020, 20:17
NAXJA Member

Wow... when I first clicked the link, I was like ok that looks nice... decent price too COOL! Until I shortly found out you have to add all of the cool options to get to the bling box that is pictured.

Still a sweet box, but not hard to get into it over $1k
Old October 12th, 2020, 20:57
NAXJA Forum User

Isn't it still cheaper than the PSC gear boxes?
Old October 12th, 2020, 21:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Isn't it still cheaper than the PSC gear boxes?
No, the PSC boxes are cheaper and "new".
Old October 14th, 2020, 09:08
NAXJA Member

Have anyone here tried Redneck Ram? I had my steering gear repaired and ported for Hydro assist there but am yet to install it. Prices are good compared to others and a very good review.

https://www.westtexasoffroad.com/

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old October 14th, 2020, 10:00
NAXJA Member #920

I seem to recall someone in NAC having one of those many years ago (in the 2006 timeframe), but I don't recall how he liked it and a lot could have changed in the intervening years...