NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 10th, 2020, 06:26
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Steering Gear Box

this filter in the return line...

https://www.amazon.com/Magnefine-Mag...ts_id=15727261
Old September 12th, 2020, 05:19
NAXJA Forum User

Steering Gear Box

I bought one from Oreilly auto and put it on the return line. Unsure what micron it is rated to. Ran 1 gallon of fluid through my new to me box and kept draining the reservoir. Crazy how brown the fluid in the box was, but I shouldn’t be shocked with how brown it looked when I drained it at Pick N Pull checking the number of turns.

Steering feels more like a rack and pinion (Toyota) to me. No more slop. Not as ‘floaty’ like the GMs I’ve driven. Just feels tighter. Also my steering wheel is now centered. Before it was full of play and I don’t think it was just because the box was loose. This just FEELS like I’m turning a bigger cylinder that needs more pressure to turn the wheels, but it doesnt take more effort. I was expecting it to feel super easy and floaty like a GM.
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:49
NAXJA Member

Not to thread jack, but I think the question is appropriate here. The ‘99 Durango box is the ideal one for a swap, correct? So, would the ‘99 4x4 snow plow package be the best? I’d imagine the steering box is the beefiest?
Old September 17th, 2020, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...ng-box.767986/

see above link, read the threads. The snow plow has a different ratio, which means you cant turn as sharp, so the NON snow plow is prefered by jeepers, and it is the most common of the two to get at a wrecker. That is what I looked for and got, Non snowplow.

I did read someplace on the web what the turn lock to lock is, but I dont have that data handy now.

At anyrate thats what folks want for the Jeeps, NON snow plow. The snow plow type not only has the wrong turn ratio, but has ports that can be used by Jeepers for installing a hydraulic winch, but the stock steering pump is not really big enough for that. go with an electric winch, and maintain a small turning radius as possible.
Old September 17th, 2020, 15:31
NAXJA Member

Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old September 18th, 2020, 09:45
NAXJA Member

Continuing with the thread hi-jack...
More info concerning Durango snow plow vs. non-snow plow...apparently the non-snow plow box has an "83" cast on the housing.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/pro...non-snow-plow/

If you buy a remanufactured box check the sector shaft for lateral play (not sure how out of the vehicle, maybe mount in a vice and wiggle pitman arm up/down/all around). The reman one I bought a few yrs ago had excessive lateral slop and now I'm looking for another one (after going through the hassle of drilling for hydro assist).
Old September 18th, 2020, 11:46
NAXJA Forum User

At the wrecker I had three to choose from. One had really dark burnt smelling fluid, the other two had clean fluid, I took the one from the cleanest looking truck of those two.

To really check, read the rebuild part of manual. Note they give specification for turning torque, a beam torque wrench makes this easy to read. gear play, i.e. backlash is also specified, and of course shaft play needs checking. Bad shaft play can be detected if really bad if installed, but lesser wear probably requires the gear box disconnected to really determine how bad or good the play is.

Have some proper pullers with you when you go to the wrecker, some times the pitman can be stubborn to pull off. A torch can help loosen tight ones, but many yards do not allow open flames.

keep in mind at the wrecker the steering maybe locked, making access possibly more difficult.
I think I had to pull the battery tray or power module out to gain access to some bolts. It was a bit of a paint to remove. So pick wisely before you pull it, and then cross your fingers it passes the bench test for torque, play and lash.
Old September 18th, 2020, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Continuing with the thread hi-jack...
More info concerning Durango snow plow vs. non-snow plow...apparently the non-snow plow box has an "83" cast on the housing.

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/pro...non-snow-plow/

If you buy a remanufactured box check the sector shaft for lateral play (not sure how out of the vehicle, maybe mount in a vice and wiggle pitman arm up/down/all around). The reman one I bought a few yrs ago had excessive lateral slop and now I'm looking for another one (after going through the hassle of drilling for hydro assist).

whow, $426 for a rebuilt box with no core. I rolled the dice with one from the wrecker for about $50. I am a cheapo.
Old September 18th, 2020, 12:27
NAXJA Forum User

interesting. Locally the pitman arm isn't even priced as an item for sale. I walked out with the box and the Durango arm for nothing more than the box cost.

I drained all the fluid I could at the yard using vice grips. also helped verify the number of turns to lock. Worked out well, but I don't think I got all of the fluid out. Just enough to not make a mess on the drive home.

I'd plan on the steering being locked. Right after I found mine I walked up to one where the engine had been removed and it would have been MUCH easier to remove than what I had to deal with trying to wrestle it out of the driver side wheel well...with the wheel still on it.
Old September 18th, 2020, 20:56
NAXJA Forum User

Back in 2007 I installed a PSC steering gear box for my '99 XJ with 5.5" lift and 33" tyres. The model I ordered was SG-621M, which was the "variable gear ratio" option rather than the stock ratio option. Last I looked at their website (5 yrs ago?), I didn't see the "variable gear ratio" option any longer. In my opinion, I felt that it turned too easily and added to the Jeep's tendency to wander at higher speeds (30-60 mph). I did notice that at low RPM, the wheel was hard to turn, so in 2007, just after installation, I ordered an AGR high PSI power steering pump. That pump fixed the low RPM issue for the most part. Although I hear AGR is junk these days? What brand are you using instead for high PSI steering pumps on the XJ?

Did I make a mistake in ordering the variable ratio box - should I have ordered the non-variable ratio steering gear box? Anyone have direct experience with the two?

Fast forward to 2017, I hadn't wheeled in almost 10 years. My Jeep was turned into a primary school family wagon. I grew tired of the "too easy and floppy" steering of the PSC. The PSC also started leaking gear oil. I began reading on the forums about the Durango box. There was comments about it not doing stop-to-stop turns, but I'm not sure if it is true. On my Jeep, one direction hits the stop on the knuckle, the other hits the swaybar bracket first. [weld-on JKS sway bar extension brakets in the pipeline]

I live in a town of under 400K people, so I had to do a lot of digging to find a junk yard '98 Durango box. There are a few small yards, nothing big like those junkyard megaplexes in the US. I was able to find just one small junk shop in town and I had to drive an hour to get the Durango box. I installed the Durango box and my first impression was WOW!!! The steering stiffened up and it felt like a new car. However after a few months, it started leaking gear oil. Over the years I've probably put a full bottle and a half of that Lucas Products Stop Leak for Steering, which didn't stop the leak whatsoever and [I think] has made the steering a bit too tight now, but not intolerable. [Or maybe it was the Powertrax no-slip front lunchbox locker which stiffened it up?] I now park the Jeep with mats under the front to catch the oil. It drops one or two drops of gear oil each drive, but so does the engine, lol.

Has anyone found a good source for rebuilt Durango boxes? I could put the PSC back in and rebuild the Durango, but more tools and time required and 3 little screamers adding to the stress.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 16:04
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone know the quality of the BuyAutoParts Durango boxes? They list them on their site for $280 with free shipping for a new, NOT rebuilt box. part #82-00527AN
Old September 23rd, 2020, 21:26
NAXJA Member

Unless you have upgraded to manual locking hubs, the lunch box will ABSOLUTELY make turning stiffer... in theory it should disengage (when turning) and you may hear a ratcheting. With mine and the hubs locked its a pig to steer! Haven't upgraded the box yet, but with 35s, Im leaning heavily towards hydro assist

Last edited by ShoeterMcgav; September 24th, 2020 at 11:42.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 23:18
NAXJA Forum User

The PowerTrax No-Slip will stiffen the steering even when disengaged in 2WD? I figured it was the neary two bottles of that Lucas power steering leak stop stuff. I don't hear any ratcheting with the PowerTrax No-Slip and that is why I bought it. Pay more for less noise probability. I do sometimes hear a soft "thunk" when the locker either engages or disengages on sharp turns in the parking lot or going from reverse to forward.

My steering doesn't sound as bad as you describe, but I'm only on 33's without manually locking hubs. My wife didn't say anything about the steering stiffness after putting the PowerTrax in, and she drives it everyday.
Old September 26th, 2020, 06:57
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoeuf View Post
The PowerTrax No-Slip will stiffen the steering even when disengaged in 2WD? I figured it was the neary two bottles of that Lucas power steering leak stop stuff. I don't hear any ratcheting with the PowerTrax No-Slip and that is why I bought it. Pay more for less noise probability. I do sometimes hear a soft "thunk" when the locker either engages or disengages on sharp turns in the parking lot or going from reverse to forward.

My steering doesn't sound as bad as you describe, but I'm only on 33's without manually locking hubs. My wife didn't say anything about the steering stiffness after putting the PowerTrax in, and she drives it everyday.
You cannot disengage the no-slip. It’s an automatic locker. This also has nothing to do with a steering gear box. You might be turning lightly a not giving it much gas when turning. You’ll know when it engages while turning.
Old September 26th, 2020, 08:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
You cannot disengage the no-slip. It’s an automatic locker. This also has nothing to do with a steering gear box. You might be turning lightly a not giving it much gas when turning. You’ll know when it engages while turning.
What lordoeuf said is absolutely correct, it does dis-engage.