NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 20th, 2014, 19:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Questions about swapping different year/model 4.0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
All 1975-up AMC six heads swap freely between blocks - they went to a "wide deck" block for '75. So, the top end will swap freely between all 6-242 engines, just know that the RENIX head (#2686) won't swap intakes with the later heads. Also, know that the 6-258 manifolds won't swap onto 6-242 heads - the intake ports are in the wrong places, and the #3 & #4 exhaust ports are Siamesed.

If OBD-II doesn't like your OBD-I throttle body setup, just swap the throttle bodies - 1991-2006 TB assemblies, as I recall, use the same mounting stud pattern.
Actually, you can swap intakes and heads between Renix and early HO. 1/4" difference in intake port size. If you're up to it. the head and intake can be port matched quite easily.
Old January 20th, 2014, 19:38
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis.hondatech View Post
New to forum but not new to Jeeps. Just looking for some confirmation on my jeep before i order the parts. I have a 2000 XJ sport i just bought. Very Clean with 115k miles on it. The motor has a hole in the #2 piston and the head has 2 small cracks in it. I have a 94 xj 4.0 that i recently swapped out do to oil consumption, motor was running fine just burning oil. I tore down motor and its in great shape minus the rings. My plan is to freshen up the bottom end and purchase a reman head for a 2000 and put it on the rebuilt 94 short block. just trying to clarify that this will work before i commit to buying the parts. i know about having to swap over the cam sensor into the dizzy hole but just making sure everything else is a go. i have both oil filter adapters so i have that covered as well. thanks for the advice in advance.
You'll be fine, make sure to cut the timing indicator thing off the timing cover (it's right near the timing indicator marks... weird round thing with a hole in it. just cut it off) so that the serpentine belt doesn't hit it.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:04
NAXJA Forum User

Hey guys, bringing this old thread back to life since I have some questions that seem like you guys know the answers to.
I have a 2002 TJ 4.0, #4 piston blew on the highway, rod and pin still attached so it killed the bore. I also have a '98 Grand Cherokee with a good 4.0, complete. So my plan was to swap the GC engine into the TJ and use the TJ head but hearing it may not work or will need a ton of fab work to use it.
A used TJ engine here is $750 for something local, or I can spend half that but drive 4 hours each way to get it, so.....trying to use what I already have if possible.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only found this site as a fellow Jeep brother linked it in a local Jeep forum where I was asking the same question.
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:05
NAXJA Forum User

XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:10
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the quick reply.
So this will not work?
I'm sure I can make new motor mounts or adaptor plates, but with regard to the accessories, can I just use the GC stuff?
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:12
NAXJA Forum User

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:18
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

What he is saying is no.

However, a 99-04/05 (I forget when wj production stopped) wj block will fit great. Aim for one with the tupy 0331 head already on it, should be late 02 or so or all 03s and later but verify before buying.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old May 18th, 2014, 07:24
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks. My problem is I already own the GC so its a free engine aside from labour. I understand they underwent changes, but motor mounts can be made/swapped without much work, and if the front acc. drive has different mounting, would it not be possible to run the complete GC engine with acc. still on it and just use/modify my TJ lines to fit?
I know they are "not interchangeable", but can will they work, and if so with what changes?
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:36
NAXJA Forum User

Anything can be made to work. But its not worth it. Water pump, ac, alt, block mounts, etc are all different.
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:35
NAXJA Member

When he says not worth it he means it, the AC compressor is on the other side under the manifolds, etc etc. Feel free to try it, but there's a reason no one does it.

WJs on the other hand are probably pretty plentiful.
Old October 12th, 2020, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

My 98 cherokee HO 4.0 lost compression on the middle two cylinders recently. I have an 87 renix cherokee that I pulled the engine out of. Can I easily put this in my 98? Just by looking I notice there is no coil mount holes on the 87 engine. How do I over come that? Any other problems? Or just donít do it? Or?
Old October 12th, 2020, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

It's easily done. the coil might be the only small mod needed.
Go to www.cruiser54.com and find the Tip on putting an HO engine into a Renix.
That info all applies you're just going the other direction.
Old October 13th, 2020, 14:27
NAXJA Forum User

I have a 98 xj 4.0 L the oil filter screws directly onto the engine block as opposed to the leak prone oil filter adapter also the oil pressure sending unit screws into a brass fitting on the side of the block I"m thinking this engine is from a zj according to info in this post.