NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 14th, 2013, 15:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Questions about swapping different year/model 4.0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Was what mine?
The block info?
Old June 15th, 2013, 19:55
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
The block info?
Yes & no. I've derived a batch of info from Hollander, been revising it using experience & reports from the field, but I'd like to get prints and confirm it once and for all - as well as work out adaptations.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:01
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
I have yet to confirm all of this independently - it's all reports from the field - so take it with a grain of salt...

- There are mounting differences (block-to-chassis) between the YJ/TJ version and the XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ version. This can't generally be swapped.
- Within models, mounting did not seem to change through the years, so they may be swapped freely.
- ANY 6-242 head can be mounted to ANY 6-242 block, regardless of model or model year.
- The 0331 head up through mid-2001 was fit only for scrap - look for a replacement with the TUPY foundry mark under the oil fill cap, this is the revised head that should last. Available late 2001-2006, this can be retrofitted in place of an early 0331 head without difficulty.
- If you "roll back" to an earlier head (0630, 7120,) know that you may need to fabricate an adapter plate to use the 0331 exhaust header with the earlier head - with each revision, the size of the exhaust ports was reduced, ostensibly to improve catalyst light-off time. The "adapter plate" would actually be a block-off, meant to cover the bits of the port that aren't covered by the primary tube entry. This may easily be fabricated using decent mild steel (I'd go at least 0.090" thick,) use the correct gasket for the head on the head side, the correct gasket for the exhaust on the exhaust side, and make the exhaust holes in the plate match the holes in the EXHAUST MANIFOLD (not the cylinder head!)
- Further, if the above is done, brackets are usually readily fabricated from sheetmetal to support the coil rail, attaching them to the screws for the valve cover.
- While the 2686 head (1987-1990) WILL mate to the block, its use is NOT recommended, due to the shift in location of intake ports for the 1991-up model years. Easier to just get a later head.

Anything further you'd like me to dig around for?
So if I understand this correctly, pretty big "if", I should hold onto the head and exhaust manifold for my '95 4.0 as they *should* bolt on to my '99 block.

By doing so I *should* be able to see some modest performance gains on the '99 due to the more freely flowing head and exhaust ports of the earlier version.

Assuming that I am correct so far in my thinking, can anyone forsee any complications from the OBDII system as a result of the head swap?

'99 XJ Sport 4-dr
4.0 HO - AW4 - SYE'd NP231 - D30, 4.10, Open - ChrysCo 8.25 29-Spline, 4.10, OEM Trac-Loc
Stock with a crapload of aftermarket stuff bolted to it.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:44
NAXJA Forum User

No problems with OBD. It won't know.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:55
NAXJA Member

Shiny. Thanks!

'99 XJ Sport 4-dr
4.0 HO - AW4 - SYE'd NP231 - D30, 4.10, Open - ChrysCo 8.25 29-Spline, 4.10, OEM Trac-Loc
Old June 26th, 2013, 16:01
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_xj View Post
So if I understand this correctly, pretty big "if", I should hold onto the head and exhaust manifold for my '95 4.0 as they *should* bolt on to my '99 block.

By doing so I *should* be able to see some modest performance gains on the '99 due to the more freely flowing head and exhaust ports of the earlier version.

Assuming that I am correct so far in my thinking, can anyone forsee any complications from the OBDII system as a result of the head swap?
I'm reasonably certain you can just run a whole '99 longblock in a '95 without issues. The one thing you'll need to do is drill and tap a 1/8"-27 NPT pipe thread into a boss on the thermostat housing and extend one wire for your temp gauge sending unit, which is a 15 minute project including scraping the gaskets off and installing a new one.

In fact I have a 98 ZJ longblock in my 91 MJ right now.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 26th, 2013, 16:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
I'm reasonably certain you can just run a whole '99 longblock in a '95 without issues. The one thing you'll need to do is drill and tap a 1/8"-27 NPT pipe thread into a boss on the thermostat housing and extend one wire for your temp gauge sending unit, which is a 15 minute project including scraping the gaskets off and installing a new one.

You absolutely can do this swap.

If you use the thermostat housing from the 98, it's already tapped.
Old June 26th, 2013, 16:23
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Not quite - the thermostat housing only has one tapped opening in it, for the HO ECU's temp sender. It's a larger size, iirc 3/8 NPT. You have to drill and tap a *second* hole for the 1/8 NPT gauge sender, which is located in the driver rear corner of the head on 87-96 4.0s.

I believe you are correct for putting a 97+ HO longblock into a RENIX - since the ECU temp sender is on the lower driver side of the block on those, you can just use the HO thermostat housing and a threaded adapter to put the temp gauge sender into the spot where the HO ECU's temp sender would normally go.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old June 26th, 2013, 17:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Not quite - the thermostat housing only has one tapped opening in it, for the HO ECU's temp sender. It's a larger size, iirc 3/8 NPT. You have to drill and tap a *second* hole for the 1/8 NPT gauge sender, which is located in the driver rear corner of the head on 87-96 4.0s.

I believe you are correct for putting a 97+ HO longblock into a RENIX - since the ECU temp sender is on the lower driver side of the block on those, you can just use the HO thermostat housing and a threaded adapter to put the temp gauge sender into the spot where the HO ECU's temp sender would normally go.
Hey. I'm a Renix guy. What can I say? Thanks for the clarification.
Old June 26th, 2013, 17:27
NAXJA Member

I figured - at first I was like "wait, what?" and then realized you were likely speaking from a RENIX viewpoint.
Old June 26th, 2013, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I figured - at first I was like "wait, what?" and then realized you were likely speaking from a RENIX viewpoint.
Of course. Put a few HOs into Renix Jeeps.
Old June 26th, 2013, 18:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:

I'm actually going the other way...sort of. The '95 is the donor and the '99 is the driver. no issues with the '99 engine at all. It was just my understanding that the later heads are more restrictive due to changes in emissions control requirements; hence the revised intake manifolds which have become a popular swap on pre-99 engines.

As such, I was thinking that if i were to swap a pre-99 head onto a post-99 motor there, in theory, should be some gains from the swap. Gains similar to those seen when swapping post-99 intakes onto pre-99 engines. No?

'99 XJ Sport 4-dr
Old June 26th, 2013, 19:09
NAXJA Member

What head does your 99 have? AFAIK they all got basically the same head as earlier ones, but some have said they got 0331s in later months. Then again I don't know if the 91-9? vs 9?-99 non-0331 head flow differently, I haven't really looked into that.

As for intakes, the 99+ intake manifold does provide some benefits supposedly, especially when combined with other mods like a freer exhaust and/or stroking/forced induction etc. You can simply bolt those onto earlier engines (at least as early as 91) though, no need to change heads.

I have the motor out of a 94 in my 98, so yeah, you can do that swap no problem too. Ended up doing that because it was the first one that came along when I needed one and I got a good price on it. The only thing I had to do was trim the timing indicator boss off of the timing cover because the later belt routing interfered with it, oh, and I had to put a 1/8 NPT plug in the cylinder head where the temp gauge sender would have gone... so yeah, I guess I have a 98 motor in my 91 and a 94 motor in my 98. If things had gone differently, I probably would have ended up with a 98 motor in the 98 and a 94 in the 91, but that's not how things ended up.
Old June 27th, 2013, 19:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_xj View Post

All 1975-up AMC six heads swap freely between blocks - they went to a "wide deck" block for '75. So, the top end will swap freely between all 6-242 engines, just know that the RENIX head (#2686) won't swap intakes with the later heads. Also, know that the 6-258 manifolds won't swap onto 6-242 heads - the intake ports are in the wrong places, and the #3 & #4 exhaust ports are Siamesed.

If OBD-II doesn't like your OBD-I throttle body setup, just swap the throttle bodies - 1991-2006 TB assemblies, as I recall, use the same mounting stud pattern.
Old January 20th, 2014, 18:34
NAXJA Forum User

New to forum but not new to Jeeps. Just looking for some confirmation on my jeep before i order the parts. I have a 2000 XJ sport i just bought. Very Clean with 115k miles on it. The motor has a hole in the #2 piston and the head has 2 small cracks in it. I have a 94 xj 4.0 that i recently swapped out do to oil consumption, motor was running fine just burning oil. I tore down motor and its in great shape minus the rings. My plan is to freshen up the bottom end and purchase a reman head for a 2000 and put it on the rebuilt 94 short block. just trying to clarify that this will work before i commit to buying the parts. i know about having to swap over the cam sensor into the dizzy hole but just making sure everything else is a go. i have both oil filter adapters so i have that covered as well. thanks for the advice in advance.