NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 14th, 2020, 14:17
NAXJA Forum User

RE Hack n tap Help

So to sum it up Iím a dumbass. I ordered the RE hack n tap because the IRO is $300 to ship to Canada, basically the same as just a normal SYE kit. I ordered the RE one off 4wp not realizing that I needed the RE shaft as well as it has the flange. I was planning on just getting a front shaft from a zj or something but now I realize I need the flange thing to bolt it to the sye. Im wondering (a) how to measure to take into account this flange, and (b) which flange to buy so that I can use a shaft from a zj or something.

I measured from the centre of the u joint to the output shaft (if I cut it off leaving 1.5 inches of spline) and itís just under 34, however I have 6 degree shims installed backwards so this thing is somewhat driveable with 4.5 lift. Iím going to turn them around so that the pinion points towards the tcase, and that means the distance will be shorter. Not sure how much shorter but if itís going from -6 to +6 degrees Iím assuming itíll be like an inch shorter? And with the flange Iím assuming it will be another 3/4 inches? Idk but Iíd really appreciate any help here guys. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 14th, 2020, 14:37
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: RE Hack n tap Help

Use a Spicer 211229 flange on a stock XJ drive front shaft. Geometry was not my best subject in school, but -6* to +6* is probably more like a 1/4" length difference. I would not cut the t-case output shaft until you have all the parts and can dry fit the driveshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; October 16th, 2020 at 10:11.
Old October 14th, 2020, 14:45
NAXJA Forum User

RE Hack n tap Help

Yup thatís exactly what I need, now Iíve seen quite a few flanges like that (some for like $50 cad as itís just the flange no centering yoke) but I donít know if the bolts would line up. I was thinking that worst case ontario I just drill new holes in the RE flange so that the new one I buy fits?

Old October 14th, 2020, 15:29
NAXJA Forum User

RE Hack n tap Help

Okay so after freaking out and doing research, it looks like my screw up isnít that bad. According to spicer thereís 1.625 inches Between the mating surface of the hack n tap and flange, to the centre of the u joint on the flange, plus about 1/4 to 3/8 after flipping the shims, total length should be around 32 inches but Iím pretty sure I can adjust that based off where I cut the output shaft so an xj front shaft should work. Thank you for the help I really appreciate it.

Old October 16th, 2020, 07:49
NAXJA Member

Re: RE Hack n tap Help

Hack n tap with a front shaft will work fine. I had it for years