• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Options

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 XJ with a Aw4 and 231 Transfer Case.

I need to rebuild the trasnfer case and my intent was to install a HD SYE at the same time. However, I also need new planitaries (they are falling apart) and I assume all new bearings, seals and best to put in a new chain. The thing with new parts should run: ($200 SYE, $125 new planitaries, $100 rebuild kit, $100 new chain)

I figure I have another couple of options. Get a 231C from a S-10 with the 6 gear planitary and wide chain and put those parts in my 231J. ($100 for the 231C, $100 for rebuild kit, $200 for SYE) Am I missing anything? And then I have used gears and chain, or spend the money on the new chain?

Another option. Get a Dana300 and flip it. Anything else I would need to do? Are the outputs different? I assume I can get a 21 spline input for it?

Anyone got any other options (within my price range, not ready for a Stak or Atlas or Roc trac).

Which option would you guys do and why?

Any opinions or sarcasam appreciated!!
Michael

I just finaished the 231 C-J Transfer case set up. I used the front half of the J's case and the input. The back half, chain, and planitaries out of the C's case. I installed a PORC SYE and things went real smooth. I'm not sure what the cost of the 300 would be, but your costs look right on the 231 rebuild, and that should be all that you need to do it. Well you'll need a drive shaft, but I'm guessing you knew that, and you'll need that either way.

If you have any questions about the 231 C-J rebuild, let me know.

DAryl

JEONLYEP said:
If you have any questions about the 231 C-J rebuild, let me know.

DAryl

The only thing I really am unsure about with this swap is how to tell if the chain should be replaced or not? Are there any ways of telling, considering my donor 231 I will know nothing about.

Thanks,
Michael

2xtreme said:
The only thing I really am unsure about with this swap is how to tell if the chain should be replaced or not? Are there any ways of telling, considering my donor 231 I will know nothing about.

Thanks,
Michael

I'm not sure how to tell about the chain. Mine, we just went off of the fact that there wasn't any signs of wear inside the C's case. And I inspected the S-10 that it came out of, looking for signs that the S-10 had been used off-road. The tire size was stock and the undercarrage wasn't scratched, been or other wise abused, so I figured that it hadn't been off road.

Keep in mind most people don't use the 4x4 side of things like we do, and also that it's a stronger set-up in the first place.

I think that if you can look at the donor vechical, then look inside the case you can tell if there is a reason to get a new chain.

DAryl

That makes complete sense.
I will see if I can get one out of a clean S-10 from a u-pull it later this week.

Michael

Back