• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent cruise control

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ 4.0
Noticed when I try to turn in cruise control I get nothing. I figured it was a fuse and was going to check it out when I got home but later on during the drive I tried it again and it worked. Right before I got home I tried it a third time and it was dead again. So that leads me to believe it's not a fuse issue.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Any guesses?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Could be the clock-spring.

I have the same issue with my '96. Sometimes it will go for weeks working properly, and then it will be dead for weeks.

It seems to be a connection issue.

I have seen mention of loose connectors in the steering wheel. I think (interpretation, not first-hand experience) there are tab terminals that have lost their tension. I think I just need to pull the airbag and get at the back side of the buttons, remove the connectors, squeeze them down with a pair of pliers and put everything back together. I think. I haven't tried it yet. And it hasn't worked its way up the priority list yet.

At this point it just counts as one of those variables that make life interesting. I am afraid that if I were to fix all those little details something would then have to go seriously wrong with my Jeep just to keep the universe in balance. Or something like that.

I have the same issue with my '96. Sometimes it will go for weeks working properly, and then it will be dead for weeks.

It seems to be a connection issue.

I have seen mention of loose connectors in the steering wheel. I think (interpretation, not first-hand experience) there are tab terminals that have lost their tension. I think I just need to pull the airbag and get at the back side of the buttons, remove the connectors, squeeze them down with a pair of pliers and put everything back together. I think. I haven't tried it yet. And it hasn't worked its way up the priority list yet.

At this point it just counts as one of those variables that make life interesting. I am afraid that if I were to fix all those little details something would then have to go seriously wrong with my Jeep just to keep the universe in balance. Or something like that.
Lol! Well it's not a super big deal. This jeep is my resto project. Was what took me on all the camping trips and national parks as a kid. Ct uses some crazy substance on the roads and as soon as we moved here it rotted out in 2 years. So when I graduate college I'm dumping my entire first years salary into it. Restoring every nut and bolt from the ground up. Thanks for the tip on the wires. Little stuff like that I would like to fix now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back